The new Pixel phone has a bizarre, obscure "opt out" arbitration waiver

I only take legal advice from Cory himself, who is always careful to get the facts in every story scrupulously right, and who always updates every story and headline if any errors should happen to be revealed. :wink:

3 Likes

My comment was making a joking reference to the Vogons destroying the Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

Look at the URL the original article was published at.

(The Vogons were terrible at poetry but sticklers for bureaucracy and would have made fine Google lawyers.)

1 Like

Do you have a citation for this? My understanding is that registration has to be carried out with consent and processing of warranty data may fall under “vital” or “legitimate” interest (See Article 6).

1 Like

oh I got the joke, believe me :slight_smile: GDPR: Don't forget to bring a towel! | Boing Boing

ah, I see, replied to the wrong commentator. “There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler’s mind.”

1 Like

Well, thank you Corporate America. Every day, in every way, you make the world a little bit worse.

The iPhone XS and Pixel are in the high end competition of the smartphone market. The iPhone XS pulls ahead of the Pixel 3 by a narrow margin but with a relatively large price gap. We try to be as straight forward as possible in our gadget reviews and pixel 3’s comparable offering is questionable as neither the specs nor screen is superior to that of the iPhones. And yet, they are still priced the same or in the same price category with top phones including the galaxy devices.

So what if your [minor] child sets up your phone for you. As we all know they are not legally able to enter a legally binding contract. And having had your kid set it up (because they are often “better with tech” than many adults) you could not be reasonably expected to be aware of those terms thus it would be wholly unreasonable for any court of law to find them to be applicable in your case, correct?

[IMO] any kind of “Shrinkwrap License” or terms are complete and utter bullshit and we should absolutely be free to disregard them, we need for this legal precedent to become well established. Any “terms and conditions” that are so long and complicated that an average person would not bother to read through them thoroughly should be thrown out as invalid from the start.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.