The New York Times bought Wordle

hate-hacker

6 Likes

Practically everything from Scrabble to Wheel of Fortune has been licensed of a scratch off ticket for state lotteries.

Usually in the form on here are x number of letters, scratch them off the board. Complete x number of words it win y prize.

Wordle would be particularly easy to do that with.

It’s a separate subscription fee, much like the recipes site.

They offer

The Mini, The Crossword, Spelling Bee, Tiles, Sudoku, Vertex and Letter boxed.

On some of the games, you cannot progress beyond a certain level without paying the subscription fee. On others it’s a hard paywall.

lol yeah, i forgot that the entire word list is stored right there, no hits to a server to retrieve anything

I guess the NYT really wanted the name

edit: and to SURROUND it with ads, that’s their obvious monetization angle

Damn i KNEW I should have taken the Boing Boing Store up on that offer for 5,400 hours of JavaScript training for $20

9 Likes

Yeah everything with them is a separate subscription these days.

3 Likes

The puzzle changes at midnight local time, so changing your system date would probably force a new puzzle.

1 Like

There were no ads when I played “Spelling Bee”. But after a half dozen words or so, it said “Hey you’re good at this. Subscribe to continue”.

You don’t even need to if you don’t wanna :smiley: Just save the page. Or, honestly, go to github.com and search for “wordle” or the name of the gameshow that used to do it (Lingo) or the name of the game THAT was based on (Jotto).

You’ll find the source code for every version of this game that you can possibly contemplate and probably a few you can’t.

1 Like

Wordle 228 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Today’s word has a particular significance to this BBS.

14 Likes

I’m just thinking about how “words with friends” (I know it’s actually another branded thing) was basically generic scrabble and somehow became more popular than the original.

I love good, simple code. 1900 lines for the executable, but that belies the massive database of words it draws from. I once did a single-player scrabble-style game with three levels, and I’m pretty sure there wasn’t much more code than that in my game, though I’m not much of a programmer and I used if/then loops instead of function calls (I had a tough time getting functions to work right, the simplicity of if/then made my life much easier).

Simple things are sometimes the best things. I’m glad he got his payout, he deserved it. But for me and a lot of others, Wordle will pretty much end once it goes into NYT’s stable of games. Nothing wrong with that, others will keep playing. I’m sure NYT will make out fine.

2 Likes

Bah, I was going to post that.

I was also going to find a way to work in that I got yesterday’s word in 1 (as it’s the word I always start with)

4 Likes

Wordle is based on Jotto and Lingo, and there is at least one other game with the same name that was published before Wardle‘s Wordle.

So I guess they will have a hard time preventing copycats, of which there are hundreds at the moment, and I doubt they will be able to register a trademark for the name.

1 Like

I can not believe I missed this one, it’s myself first failure.

Wordle 228 X/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

2 Likes

FOIST? No… JOIST? No… HOIST? NO???!!

:laughing:

I feel your pain!

4 Likes

Wordle 228 4/6

:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square:

2 Likes

I tried hard to have it be anything but you-know-what! :laughing: Should have gone with it on row 3, to keep my Guess Distribution looking healthier…oh well.

Wordle 228 5/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

3 Likes

This was my wife’s.

Wordle 228 5/6

:yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

2 Likes