This guy reversed engineer Wordle so he knows the answer to tomorrow's puzzle

Originally published at: This guy reversed engineer Wordle so he knows the answer to tomorrow's puzzle | Boing Boing

2 Likes

A.k.a. the guy who helped saved the world from Wordle spam on everyone’s timeline

6 Likes

Breaking news: Robert Reichel indicted on computer tampering charges in Missouri

24 Likes

Why spoil a good thing? I for one enjoyed its

• Loamy

• Lapel

• Lurid

• Lucid

• Ludic
    qualities.

8 Likes

:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

3 Likes

Booooo! :-1: This is just cheating. No cookie for you.

7 Likes

This is equivalent to the lady in the bus with a crossword puzzle book copying all the answers from the back of the book to her current page. What’s the fun in this?

16 Likes

Wordle 207 6/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

American spelling throws me!

6 Likes

Even having a good starter guess would take the fun out of it for me. I don’t reuse one that I remember using before.

4 Likes

That completely takes the fun out of it!

What’s next, playing poker with all the cards face up?

Todays word almost did me in!
Wordle 207 6/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:

5 Likes

If you like a challenge this is a little harder, it took me 22 tries the first time.

Letterle 22/26
:white_large_square:
:green_square:
Letterle

6 Likes

Also, there was a guy who not only stole the idea, but the name Wordle and made an app in the app store. He got dragged pretty hard on Twitter and the Apple store took it down.

Probably would have gotten away with it if he had changed things around some.

2 Likes

I mean you can also cheat by just doing the puzzle once, seeing the answer it gives you, and then doing it again. Who’s going to stop you?

5 Likes

Oh good, another wordle thread!
Wordle 207 6/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square:

3 Likes

The one thing Wordle has taught me is I don’t think visually about words. I can’t think of five letter words off of the top of my head. It’s just not how they are organized in my brain.

5 Likes

Contrary to popular opinion, I really like getting gray/grey tiles; on December 21st, on Wordle #185, I eliminated 38% of the alphabet on my first two turns, paving the way to a quick deduction.

Wordle 185 3/6
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

Also, I had no problem with the American spelling of today’s word (Wordle #207), I don’t get why everybody is so upset about this one. Don’t we all consume American spelling of words almost every day, even if many of us are not American?

Wordle 207 5/6
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

6 Likes

some people just like puzzles, and reverse engineering something is it’s own kind of puzzle.

i can see it might not be fun to learn you can cheat ( im sure people have also written their own solver apps and hint apps by now ) but im also sure he had a bunch of fun figuring it out

this part is… odd. normally you’d run the javascript through a minimizer which would munge all the names to as short as possible

either wordle programmers did it manually ( yikes! ) or this person doesn’t know much about javascript and it was minimized. it would be super cool if he didn’t and figured it out anyway… good on you guy!

3 Likes

Thanks for the hint.

Wordle 207 5/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

2 Likes

I’ve been having fun playing Sweardle https://sweardle.glitch.me/

2 Likes

The only way I’m going to solve Wordle is Photoshop. That I can do…

3 Likes