Here's an easy way to cheat in Wordle

Originally published at: Here's an easy way to cheat in Wordle | Boing Boing

1 Like

My gut reaction to this is: why would anyone care to have a cheat method? Is there some kind of prize at the end of days, where the best Wordleists ascend? It’s an amusing little guessing game we play for 5 minutes in the morning before the real day begins.

13 Likes

I mean cheating at wordle is silly, but also, isn’t it spelled ROTE?
Can’t even trust these cheaters to spell.

6 Likes

I was bored…at work…so i wrote a script to do letter counts of all the 5 letter words and then find me two words that have all the top 10 most frequently used letters. so i have a good starting point. thats just good preparation, not cheating, in my mind. i do want to write a script, just for fun, that will solve it. but i won’t use it because i enjoy solving the puzzle. but i also like a good programming challenge, so…anyway, i was board at work.

2 Likes

Seeing other posts on letter frequency made me intersted in what would happen if we built a sequence logo (position specific letter information content in bits).

Of course it turns out someone already did that using a dictionary of all 5 letter words (not past answers). Creating a sequence logo of 5-letter words for Wordle - YouTube

Anyway if you find that sort of analysis fun it’s an interesting thing to replicate, potentially with other dictionaries. I’m still sticking with my current starter “train” though.

4 Likes

I think the cheat is broken. Knoll doesn’t have a g, a or s

2 Likes

Wow, that’s my starter too! :rofl:

4 Likes

I just starter doing Wordle a few days ago. I came across a wordle archive for past puzzles.

Nice!

4 Likes

I never can remember what I used the day before, but apparently I used a good starter word today!

Wordle 224 2/6

:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

5 Likes

Wordle 224 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Well done!

4 Likes

It was sheer luck on my part. Nothing more. :grin:

3 Likes

Awesome!

I didn’t do quite as well, but I got lucky:

Wordle 224 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

4 Likes

Just for fun:

5 Likes

Wordle 226 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

3 Likes

Wordle 6 3/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

2 Likes

Well done
Wordle 226 4/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square:

3 Likes

just peeking under the hood a little i found the list of all the words Wordle uses, so that seems to be a good starting place, i am going to run my code again using that list and see if it comes up with anything different.

1 Like

My favorite starting word is “■■■■■”.

4 Likes

while the letter frequency did change a little the top 5 and top 10 letters remain unchanged. going to take @BradC’s approach and see if i can get a letter distribution by position,

1 Like

Wordle 11 3/6

:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

1 Like