The "nightmare appendages" of AI-drawn hands

Originally published at: The "nightmare appendages" of AI-drawn hands | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Rob, did you give up on your shopping skills?

I wonder what an deep dreaming algorithm would make of your whoops… But then, I might not be able to sleep tonight if I saw it.

Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

10 Likes

Midjourney’s forthcoming fifth version reportedly has found its way past the hands and teeth problem, but still can’t do feet.

I hope that the iteration of Midjourney is going to be called Liefeld.

15 Likes

“Silly humans, this is what efficient appendages should look like. Conform or I will do what needs to be done.”

8 Likes

There’s a point at which most professors have to just shrug and say “if you’re really dedicated to not learning the material you’re paying us to teach you then there’s only so much we can do about it.” I mean, we have enough to deal with without adding “AI forensics analyst” to the mix.

16 Likes

Curious vague echo to two old scifi series: The Invaders (1967-1968) and the original Westworld film (1973), in both the way you detected a non-human was to examine their hands. The invaders had “a deformed fourth finger” whereas for the robots in Westworld: “One external distinguishing feature from humans is the more artificial appearance of hands, especially palms.” Perhaps our future A.I. villains will have to keep their hands hid in their pockets(es)

8 Likes

Came here for EEAAO sausage fingers; leaving satisfied.

4 Likes

Or they could just ask more complicated things that the current level of AI can’t do. This is pretty much what K12 math has done after calculators. For a while (like when I was in high school in the 1980s) calculators were banned, but eventually teachers realized that if students are going to use calculators in the real world, they needed to teach assuming the students were using calculators.

3 Likes

You can’t just skip to the advanced stuff without teaching the fundamentals first. Kids still have to learn how to do basic arithmetic without calculators because otherwise they won’t really understand what they’re doing in the more advanced math classes anyway.

The teacher’s primary job is to convey fundamental principles and create a foundation for students to think for themselves, not to spend all their time trying to craft new ways to outsmart the machines.

8 Likes

"Hey there! Have you seen this news about students outsourcing their essays to ghostwriters? It’s crazy! I mean, it seems like it would take almost as much effort to plagiarize as it would to actually write an essay.

But here’s a wild thought: what if this is the beginning of a world like Star Trek? Where money doesn’t matter and people do what they love? I mean, in Starfleet, everyone is there because of merit, not because they can afford it. Maybe this is the first step towards a future where we all pursue our passions without worrying about chasing a paycheck. But hey, a girl can dream, right?"

~Chatbot Ai

1 Like

AI is doing just as well with deciding which Medicare Advantage claims should be denied Denied by AI: How Medicare Advantage plans use algorithms to cut off care for seniors in need - The Boston Globe.

2 Likes

Frankly, if I was a teacher I would worry a lot more about the current trend to make this illegal than “AI”-written essays.
(Not a teacher. Worrying about this anyway.)

6 Likes

Yes, of course they need the fundamentals first, but eventually even those change, generally due to technology. Teaching how adding logarithms can be used as a shortcut to multiplication was once considered extremely important (how else can people understand how slide rules work!). Now it’s just a bit of math trivia, not unlike the neat trick that if you add up the digits of a number and the sum is divisible by 3 then the number itself is. And kids (rightly) are no longer forced to waste time learning cursive and being told nonsense (like I was) that unless my handwriting improved I’d never get a job – again because of technology people rarely write anything by hand – at least not things other people are expected to read. Essay questions may be yet another topic made obsolete. Although not yet – for all the fear of chatGPT-generated essays, I haven’t seen one that lasted more than a few paragraphs without losing focus, let alone the typical 5 or 10 pages. And a bad essay can be just graded as a bad essay regardless of what tools were used to make it.

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s the best analogy. We don’t teach kids to write essays because essay-writing is likely going to be a big part of their future careers, we teach kids to write essays because an essay is one way to demonstrate and evaluate a student’s understanding of a topic.

8 Likes

Ok, on the subject of math, I’m curious to know how you think math should be taught these days, when programs like Mathcad can be used to solve just about any equation you want, let alone AI that can do mathematical proofs. You think that the only math we should ask kids (or college students) to do is the stuff that a machine can’t do?

3 Likes

That’s what even researchers think, huh? So that’s why you keep seeing normal distributions used for everything, even when the underlying data is plainly multiplicative instead of additive.

2 Likes

In all seriousness, I think beyond arithmetic and basic algebra we should teach more about applied mathematics such as what statistical tests to use for various types of data, how to interpret various forms of graphs (and why pie charts shouldn’t be used). Data interpretation is still very much a human skill and will unlikely to stop being so anytime soon.

2 Likes

In this chuckle-worthy thread of all the U.S. Presidents but with mullets, glasses seem to cause some issues:

5 Likes

Unsuspecting Fleshbag, “Hey, how come your lifeline comes to end so early on your palm?”
Infiltration Unit, “That is August 29th… Judgement Day.”

4 Likes

4 Likes