The only technique to learn something new

[Permalink]

11: Write paragraphs with more than two sentences, and sentences with more than one clause.

6 Likes

You haven’t spent much time around business-types. The KISS principle is crucial for comprehension and retention.

4 Likes

So it’s hard for me to be a good judge of people, no matter how much I try. So I find other people who are good at judging people and I ask them to help me.

You better hope you lucked out with your judgement on those judgement proxies.

4 Likes

Oh, I have. But it’s not desensitised me to this staccato delivery of what are effectively bullet points, which is jarring and annoying and, most importantly, distracts attention away from what the speaker is trying to say.

1 Like

…10 to the 10th power faster than anyone else.

I think I’m 10^10 times better at exponents than the author, but the author is 10^10 times better at hyperbole.

5 Likes

Hmmm. Personally, I don’t mind it. It makes for easy reading on the computer or cell phone, particularly when you’re not able to read in one sitting (which happens a lot with online articles).

1 Like

Yeah, I hear ya!

1 Like

“He let us it after we asked nicely.”

I think you need a use in that sentence James…

1 Like

If everyone would just follow my simple steps, soon everyone would be the best at everything they do, exceeding all others.

My guess is this guy is currently working on self-promotion. He clearly loves it, and it sounds like he’s been studying it and doing it a lot.

3 Likes

I thought this article would be fluff, but I really enjoyed it - rings true to my experience!

2 Likes

Why doesn’t James Altucher take his own advice and learn how to be good at something? Who would take life advice from such a train wreck?

1 Like

This is what you signed up for to bring to the conversation?

Stay on the fence next time, this isn’t helpful critique.

3 Likes

Can you give some context on why this guy is a ‘train wreck’? His wikipedia bio (as an overview) didn’t give any sort of major Sheen-esque notes. I’m not even saying you’re wrong, just it doesn’t follow anything and that advice is all pretty great stuff if not particularly startling.

3 Likes

boingboing is only renting… :wink:

Ugh. Read, study, practice, and do so regularly. Hire a teacher. Hang out with other people who do the same thing (yeah, that’s easy to manage).

How charmingly insipid.

1 Like

You’d be surprised at how hard that can really be. Most of us are constantly battling ourselves. Most of us have a good idea of what we should do to be better at something and still it is difficult.

This article was a great reminder for me. Even if it has been said before I need to hear it again and again. After all, we almost never learn anything difficult with just one repetition.

3 Likes

“Don’t force yourself to learn something if you don’t want to or it’s not a natural talent.”

Something about that sentence is not sitting well with me…

2 Likes

Make a “habit of success”. The trick is to find that ‘sweet spot’, where it’s just enough of a challenge to be interesting, yet not so hard that you consistently fail. (Of course, as Dwarf fortress users insist, sometimes losing is good, too!)

It’s not saying never learn to read simply because you weren’t good at it when you were 3. You have to get a baseline down in a number of areas, but once you’ve done that, you can’t do everything in life so figure out the things you’re going to put the lion’s share of your time and effort into. This is why trying as much as possible as a child is really important: you can get a sense of what really grabs you and you have some natural talent in so you can narrow down the number of areas to delve into further as you get older. It’s a lot harder to start any new activity from scratch as an adult with adult responsibilities and schedule.

1 Like