The only technique to learn something new

Perhaps you can tutor him in trolling, O great master who has been with us for scarcely a day!

1 Like

Iā€™ll admit that once I read ā€œhedge fund managerā€ in the authorā€™s bio, I kinda wrote him off even though I agree with the basis of his idea.

1 Like

James has been very open about his past failures on his podcast, and particularly how and why he failed. He even spent a long time on one podcast discussing ways he wanted to end his own life.

But now heā€™s a best-selling author, and has managed to become more successful than ever. Clearly the guy knows how to bounce back after being down. If that isnā€™t inspiring, if that doesnā€™t give you hope, then I donā€™t know what will. If anybody can teach you about how to recover after losing, then itā€™s him.

2 Likes

Gonna like that despite my previous comment (re: hedge funds). But if you really, REAAAALLLLY want to be inspired by someone bouncing back, read <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Push-Novel-Sapphire/dp/0679766758/ref=sr_1_2/179-1088525-6578310?ie=UTF8&qid=1431545382&sr=8-2&keywords=push>Push: A Novel. Itā€™s a fictional narrative with some serious brutality, but sweet fucking hell I found it inspiring.

I have my doubts about the wisdom of some of this wisdom, but I wonā€™t quibble about that here.

What I will say is that in terms of the quality of the writing and the sophistication of thought being presented, this is so far below this siteā€™s usual standards that I canā€™t help but wonder if BB is being compensated in some fashion for running it. (Any comment?)

Iā€™d never heard of Mr. Altucher before reading this, so I went to his Wikipedia page, and from there to his blog. Having done that, Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™d be more concerned to learn that this was greenlit by someone who didnā€™t do that much research, or someone who did but ran it anyway.

1 Like

Listening to advice, internalizing that advice, and acting on it are three very different things. This self-help stuff is essentially worthless because it breaks down at the implementation stage.

1 Like

Why would anyone be more inspired by a fictional narrative as opposed to one that really happened?

Gonna step out on a limb and say that people can find inspiration in a wealth of ways, and those ways are not limited to reality. Do you require events to be factual in order to find inspiration?

1 Like

Getting better at things does feel suspiciously like failing repeatedlyā€¦

Yes I do.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.