The other class war: technocrats vs plutocrats

I would also suggest that the notion of engaging in violent action against speech is an extreme form of corporal punishment. Research on corporal punishment shows that it just leads to more antisocial and aggressive behavior. Successfully shutting up a Nazi by punching them just teaches them that you can successfully shut up your ideological opponents by punching them. It would be interesting to think about what the free speech analog to a ‘barrier time out’ would be that doesn’t involve jail.
PDF corporal punishment study.
https://tinyurl.com/ycqnw4jf

That’s where Nazi ideology inevitably ends up, yes. Which is even more reason that such objectively bad speech should not be given a platform by liberal-democratic institutions (universities, the mainstream media, etc.). Per Karl Popper, liberals and progressives are under no obligation to tolerate intolerance.

Such as…?

[hint: Enlightenment thinkers, while very supportive of free speech, did not think that every crank and charlatan out there deserves a reputable platform]

The Red Front thugs were supported by an authoritarian foreign state and their political parent the KPD was trying to take control of Germany. Meanwhile, the SA thugs were supported by authoritarian local sugar daddies and their political parent the NSDAP was trying to take control of Germany.

The violent conflict between the two groups occurred in the context of a massive and traumatic societal and economic breakdown in which Germany’s ruling conservative business and political establishment abdicated any responsibility for keeping the peace. That – as opposed to denying fascists platforms to speak* – is how you get running street battles and their consequences.

[* something said conservative establishment did the opposite of, by the way]

That’s a bit of a stretch. Engaging in violent action in response to speech is what it is: unacceptable, but sometimes understandable. Fascists aren’t innocent children who’ll be turned into abusers themselves because they’ve been abused; they’re already abusers.

Has Spencer been successfully shut up since that punch? If anything it opened up a whole new line of garbage for him to sell based on his martyr status (not that he had the guts to press charges). Since the American right thrives on narratives of false victimhood that’s the bigger danger in meeting their speech with violence.

Fascists don’t need to be taught that you can successfully shut up your ideological opponents by punching them because that concept is already inherent in their ideology.

Again, it’s not difficult: the adults in the room shouldn’t give entitled crybabies whose ideas are demonstrably destructive and violent a platform to throw their tantrums.

I don’t see a reason to escalate to violence and if I implied that it was in error. I simply mean that is perfectly appropriate to deny speaking venues to Nazis without damaging the principles of free speech. The metaphor of the marketplace of ideas is popular, but we still bar goods from the market that are found to be harmful with no redeeming value. I see no reason we can’t regulate out demonstrably bad ideas. And to arrest the slippery slope, here’s an easy line to follow: if your philosophy advocates the elimination of a group of people from society, it doesn’t belong on the market. Anything else is fair game.

1 Like

We’re doing the Freeze Peach for Nazis thing again? Okay.

5 Likes

I think that’s an entirely different point. Of course once things come to violence you’d better hope you are on the winning side. That is true whether you started the violence or not.

If we look at that example the question is whether speech was an effective counter to Nazi speech (it wasn’t) and whether violence was an effective counter to nazi speech (it wasn’t). So all that tells us is what we ought to already know: that there are no guarantees, people tried lots of things but the Nazis won (and then eventually lost to international violence, not international speech).

Children learn how to be a person and how to negotiate social relationships from their parent’s actions. Corporal punishment against children teaches the children that violence is what adults do.

The analogy to adults getting into fights with other adults just doesn’t work. If you ever find yourself the teacher of a bunch of Nazi kindergarteners then studying child psychology might be a useful way to reach them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.