The "Pan Am Experience:" luxury dinner, circa 1970, served in a recreated 747

Cramped? What are you talking about? Those people are practically swimming in their seats! And that guy in the aisle actually has headroom!

This. If you don’t believe me, try shopping at a vintage clothes store sometime.

Slightly taller and much fatter Americans being shoehorned into tiny little seats. Anything to save a buck I guess.

…People ARE bigger, but vintage clothing is not a good way to judge this. Survivor bias means that clothes that didn’t get worn as much didn’t get worn out. So clothes that turned out to be too small, either because the original owner gained weight or their size was aspirational in the first place are disproportionately represented in thrift shops.

That flight looks atypically full. I’m guessing either holiday travel, a charter flight, or, AFTER deregulation and the elimination of the Civil Aviation Board which set routes and prices for the airlines. They strove to adjust the supply of flights and prices so that ~50% full was considered normal and was sufficient for the airlines to be profitable.

3 Likes

Interesting, but no.

Civil rights all around are dramatically improved. You don’t think women’s rights have gotten leaps and bounds better? What about disability rights and trans rights, which didn’t exist at all back then? Also, being “openly gay” wasn’t really a thing in the 70s unless you were a total stereotype, then it was the elephant in the room that nobody talked about. The only thing that I think is a wash is race relations, and even that is probably improved overall.

The 70s was better for civil liberties though… maybe. The War On Drugs wasn’t the monstrosity it is today, and we haven’t had the weird self-righteous theocracy that began under Reagan and then snowballed. Also, money in politics wasn’t nearly the corrupting influence it is today, and legislators listened to their constituents to a much greater degree than they do today.

Other than that, I really don’t know. Fashion then, as now, was confusing and (to me) ugly. 90% of all music was crap, as it is today. Same with movies. Books were largely self-indulgent tripe written for the upper-class ultra-whites… same as now.

I guess if you’re a straight white male, you can go back to the 70s. As for me, I’m staying here.

4 Likes

Aspirational? You mean people aspire to be nearly a foot shorter than I am?

2 Likes

Well I meant that they aspire to be thin…

What? Is that Henry Winkler with the Bic lighter?

People who are disappointed that they’re too young to have been in on all the debauchery and casual misogyny of the era, I guess.

Out of Toronto, I don’t think $300 would cover the airport fees of many round-trip plane flights.

Dear god I hope that’s not the case, but ugh yeah there’s that ‘allure’ of the ‘good times’ for some folks. :frowning:

Pan Am Coffee?

I found the food at Medieval Times in Las Vegas surprisingly tasty and hot considering the number of people they had to serve simultaneously! Combined with the silly, but fun show, it was a good time.

$300.00 is kind of steep for the experience here, but I certainly think it would still be fun. Especially if I wasn’t the one paying.

3 Likes

I’d say it is for people who lacked the funds to go to the failed Fyre festival but still want to do something so massively decadent and utterly useless as to boggle the mind but who aren’t, yet, up to just setting fire to a pile of money outside a homeless shelter just for the fun of it.

I’m not even vaguely a liberal but I find this sort of thing appalling while people are starving and children are being denied a decent education in many crowded cities.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.