The pilot for Photon might be the strangest piece of media ever created

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/04/24/the-pilot-for-photon-might-be-the-strangest-piece-of-media-ever-created.html

2 Likes

I’ve read two novels based on this, back in the '80s. I knew they were based on one of the brands of laser tag, but I didn’t know there was a show. The first one was well written, but the second one wasn’t as good.

2 Likes

If someone tried to make a parody they couldn’t have done better.

2 Likes

Photon: Thieves of Light, by Michael P. Kube-McDowall writing as Michael Hudson, was easily as good as one of Heinlein’s juveniles, if not better than by virtue of not being written by Heinlein. the rest of them were hacked out by Peter David, writing as David Peters.

5 Likes

They have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Poop Emoji.

1 Like

I was going to say - wasn’t this a Laser Tag knock off?

The comic book writer?

Other way around, I think. The Dallas location of Photon had its first franchise in Toronto, which I remember going to a couple of times. They let me peek at their machine room and it was a big stack of 10 or 12 IBM PC’s.

3 Likes

Looks like a cheezy kids SIFI show. Oh, the lip sync errors, Oh, the lip sybc errors. This is painful to watch.

Season 4 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

1 Like

The light shines? “The light shines” with no context at all! What the hell does “the light shines” mean? They mentioned “the light shines” more than just a few times. Does anyone here think they said “the light shines” a bit too often?

I got a distinct religious cult vibe each time they said it….

2 Likes

Top tier idea. Use a combat simulation have to recruit Earth’s greatest warriors. Personally I defended the universe from 82 to 02 when I retired because I couldn’t fit into my rig anymore.

Thank you for your service.

Came for this. The Laser Tag equipment by WoW was sleek; the Photon stuff was clunkier looking.

“Under his shiny eye”

1 Like

OMG.

If I didn’t have memories of ragging on this show with friends, I would think I just imagined it in a fever dream.

It was wonderfully, ludicrously BAD in the best possible way.

I’m going to watch this this afternoon and the stupid wave over me.

I TRIED reading the first Peter David novelizations, and . . . . couldn’t.

The Kube-McDowall book was actually good! He justified a lot of the wierdness. At one point the book version of the nerdy character notes that the conflict between light and dark was a sort of religious war over a terraforming campaign. (based on 30 year plus old memories)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.