Star Wars cup ad, 1977: you like laser swords, right?

[Permalink]

“Those are lightsabers!” – I cry into a 37 year gap.

3 Likes

is this the inspiration for the chris farley show interview character?

1 Like

And a Magnum is a gun.

In other news, Majik Market is gone:

link has a photo, some info

on bankruptcy in 1990

I grew up in SD; never heard of these (MM, not laser-swords).

Now that, folks, is some quality merch shilling. All intensity, no subtlety. But yes, like Chentzilla, I too cry for the subtraction of Star Wars mythos through base mispronunciation.

1 Like

I still have one of these. The version with Obi Wan and Darth Vader duelling.

What I wouldn’t give to see a Bobby Moynihan re-creation of this.

1 Like

What’s really tragic about this is that he seems to be attempting to leverage his own distant and nearly forgotten memories of ‘enjoyment’ into his act.
This makes me sad in a way that makes me angry about being sad.

OMG. I worked in a Majik Market in Ft. Lauderdale in the 80s for about four weeks, until it was held up (and not for the first time). This bring s back memories.

This was supposed to be funny. He is a grown man talking about Star Wars and laser swords. Remember this was the 1970s, grown men didn’t get excited (publicly) about these things. This is a time before grown-ups wore T-shirts with cartoon characters on them.

6 Likes

Florida: : You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

3 Likes

It’s a common enough mistake for newbies. Even the schlub who wrote The Phantom Menace accidentally had one character call one of those things a “laser sword.”

2 Likes

Coming Soon: revised Special Edition where mention of Luke and Leia kissing has been replaced with a dancing Jar Jar.

Strikes me as more like Buddy Hackett than Danny Devito. And yes, I like laser swords…

3 Likes

I had to look twice to make sure this wasn’t Buddy Hackett. Sounds like him too!

To me he’s feigning feigning excitement

Wall Street?

I think the “lassos that thing” line is even more funny. I cannot imagine any kid relating to that guy unless he’s some kind of longstanding regional TV personality.

Rich Fulcher, paging Rich Fulcher, we have a role for Mister Rich Fulcher…

1 Like

I hope they brought him back to do an THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK promo.
“Remember that time when Darth Vader cut off Luke’s hand and then he was all, ‘I’m your father!’ and stuff?”