The Poetry Camera uses AI to make poems out of photographs and it's actually pretty cool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/24/the-poetry-camera-uses-ai-to-make-poems-out-of-photographs-and-its-actually-pretty-cool.html

6 Likes

This has me in mind of A Softer World a bit…

8 Likes

Agreed; good intro.

8 Likes

An utter fucking abomination. This is the end of the age of humanity. Fuck.

3 Likes

But don’t hold back, though.

Tell us how you really feel…

8 Likes

hyperbole scream
humanity can’t survive
goofs on poetry

10 Likes

Haiku you doin’?

13 Likes

as an art project, i do like this.

i also think it would be kind of awesome as vaporware
where the camera can only print out a single message:

insert poem here

and the photographer has to make something up on the spot,
or admit it doesnt work.

8 Likes

Well, I’m a poet. And I never asked for machines to take over that part of my life. It’s one of the things that makes life worth living. Shitty that AI is taking it over, and shitty that media like BoingBoing is supporting that.

3 Likes

As an artist, I don’t disagree.

I am not a fan of this “AI” craze, and I hate that artists and creators have been thrown under the bus in the rush to capitalize on it.

There will never be a replacement for true creativity, regardless to what soulless substitutes companies are willing to pay for.

11 Likes

AI never heard
the cry of humanity:
either birth or death.

10 Likes

Exactly! I don’t think that this sort of novelty contraption can take the place of poets. Only of goofy pretenders like me.

9 Likes

Right?
Trite,
Shite,
Blight.

1 Like

BoingBoing is supporting an artwork that makes people consider/discuss these things.

5 Likes

I mean, this is basically just Found Poetry derived from Predictive Text. I don’t think anyone’s going to mistake it for high or fine art, nor is it aiming to replace creative workers. It’s an art project itself. Technology has always been used in the creation of art, and I don’t think we need to police that.

11 Likes

Anti-humanism has been the dominant paradigm for at least my whole life.

4 Likes

This is the singularity, you say? Cheesy auto-generated poetry? If that’s it, I suspect we will survive. (It is not, and things will change and evolve very rapidly. I still think we will survive, though.)

5 Likes

It’s not the singularity. But it is getting all excited over what is essentially a plagiarism engine instead of giving real poetry any sort of attention. The products of humans? yawn. The product of a machine stealing from humans? Ooooh, shiny.

1 Like

Who’s “excited?”

I’m hard core Gen X; my default setting is “jaded as fuck.”

9 Likes

I didn’t see much excitement, just a “this is kinda cool, for an AI sort of thing.” It was made as an art project. As far as I can see, it’s not intended for mass production or distribution. It was a fairly neat adaptation for a project. Not expecting anything that moves me or stirs my soul, by any means. “Eh, kinda cool” is about the best it will get.

6 Likes