The Poisoned Wine Problem

I’m trying to think of a way to adapt this riddle for my WoD players. I’m currently set in Indianapolis 2013, and the PCs are responsible for running supernatural security for the various faction meetings that will be using GenCon for cover for negotiations. Hmm…

3 Likes

Well, perhaps if you have a severe drinking problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

If that were the case, one of the other bottles would go missing… I may be a lush, but I ain’t suicidal. :wink:

1 Like

Wait. Is that “guaranteed [poison free] bottle” or “[guaranteed poison] [free bottle]”?

3 Likes

@cjankelson:
should be in the stipulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re not much of a king if you have to throw a potluck. I’m surprised there’s only one assassin instead of about 800.

7 Likes

You mean all those hours of playing Crusader Kings 2 were wasted?

1 Like

Oh come on, do you honestly not have 10 people you wouldn’t mind killing? Not that you’d, you know, actively go out of your way to kill, just that you wouldn’t mind. I don’t know, Donald Trump, Carrot Top, the thinking man meme guy, Rupert Murdock, George Lucas, that guy Mellisa McCarthy plays on SNL, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, any of the Bushes, or all those fat dudes who wear fedoras?

Mine’s tequila and lime, thanks
pushes fat man in front of trolley

3 Likes

that goes without question: 10 Bit are not enough for a 7 hours long drinking run

I like this one

5 Likes

Regarding the binary solution – assigning the bottles a number from 1…1000d in binary, assigning each prisoner a bit position, and matching the pattern of dead prisoners to the bottle number – seems like it would require a huge learning curve for your staff. You have to teach them binary.

That said, you simply need 10 cups, and you’d go bottle to bottle adding drop by drop as appropriate to the cup. But there’s so much room to screw it all up, just one drop in the wrong cup.

Or maybe I’m overthinking this.

The great thing about logic puzzles is not having to worry about reality!

(If they make you worry about reality they aren’t logic puzzles, they are some asshole being smug)

1 Like

This was one of my thoughts as well. I appreciate the elegance of the solution, but the execution is too complex to trust the result running the experiment only once if my life is on the line- and if the second result doesn’t match the first, a third would be necessary- so if this were real life, I wouldn’t go through with this with less than 30 expendables.

It’s sort of implicit that the party and the testing must be somewhat simultaneous. You really think that as king I would accept a bottle of wine that’s been left standing open for ten hours?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.