The Post-It Note company's obscure boardgames

And I still say the “original”-boardgame Civ kicks butt over any of the computer versions (except the computer version of Advanced Civ in case you can’t find 6 other players).

Did 3M also put out a hockey game? Real plasticy board and such? I’m working on vague 40+ year old memories here but it seems to have an association.

1 Like

Of course I assume you’re talking about using the “Advanced Civilization” addition? Because getting held back one turn on the AST and knowing that you have NO chance of winning a half an hour into a 10 hour game is…suboptimal. I remember seeing a test piece that some glass workers were making of a civilization coffee table. The landforms were carved 3d into the bottom and the borders between areas were carved into the top.

2 Likes

Tegaderm is pretty fucking amazing stuff for sticking over holes in skin, mind.

1 Like

We used to play a game that involved two sets of Monopoly joined at the GO! along with two sets of Stocks n Bonds. you had to divide the S&B numbers by ten to make them work w the Monopoly figures iirc. Those games went on all night. Good times!

I managed to pick up two sets of stocks n bonds, but no one wants to play a 10 hour game of Monotony Stocks and Bonds. Luckily i was also able to pick up a nearly brand new Arab Israeli Wars (still looking for a decent Panzerblitz tho I scored the Armor Supplement - the one with all the stats n stuff - years ago)

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I think 3M makes some really great and useful stuff. I just find those product names kinda hilarious.

I mean seriously, how is Cubitron II not an emissary from the Borg Collective? Or an Autobot diplomat or something?

2 Likes

i have a copy of panzerblitz and panzer leader. those were excellent games although i liked the close tactical level games best. advacned squad leader for one. did you ever play the tactical card game, up front?

2 Likes

Didn’t Multiman Publishing re-release Up Front! ?

Lost Twixt and Acquire to a house fire. i should have moved all the stuff out of mom’s attic years ago.

Good point.

Sadly no on both accounts. My older son might be persuaded to try either, but he has a lot of money sunk into Flames of Wallet, errr I mean Flames of War (and WarYammer 40k)

Kids these days, eh?

Hey I am a 40something nearing 50 geek and I love warhammer 40k. Actually minis gaming kinda ruined stuff like Panzer Blitz for me as the chits just make me go meh. That said the the newer printing techniques and quality make some of the new board games actually appealing to me.

i don’t know. my copy was from the original avalon hill vintage.

My uncle Mike worked for 3M in the 60s and 70s. He had a full set of their board games. His kids weren’t interested in them; I’m guessing they’re long gone now (though, if not, they’re probably in very good shape).

I have a used copy of the Acquire, same yellow board, but released by Avalon Hill (they bought 3M’s game division at some point in the early 70s). Still love it.

As is mine…With Banzai and Desert War stuffed into the box.

1 Like

That’d be the one. Maybe we had different styles in our gaming group but I don’t ever recall seeing that situation come up since almost everyone got caught at the 7-card threshold for at least a few turns. I’ve seen players moved backwards on the AST when all their cities were gone though…

Them’s fighting words. As someone who sometimes still finds himself absentmindedly humming along to Baba Yetu or even freaking Aristotle’s Pupil (nostalgia warning!) from time to time, I’m guessing it must be a hell of a board game.

Yes, it is (IMO). Elegant game design that:

1. Combines economics with on-board population (same tokens used for both with a fixed quantity)
  2. Makes the biggest player on the board at the moment move first so the smaller players can react and nimbly dance around their moves
    and
  3. Allows for both cooperative and competitive play (or both at the same time…)

among other aspects. Takes a long time to play a full set and getting the crowd together can be hard but it’s worth it.

Find it, buy it, live it.

“Looking for bronze! Looking for bronze! Have salt!”

1 Like

Coincidentally, I have a copy of the Go edition that my kids love to play with – making patterns, really. But hey – gateway drugs, amirite?

My dad had a copy of their Stocks and Bonds that my sister and would play. We always made sure it was a bull market, though.

O HAI!

I’ve played both Durapore and Dynatel - not missing much if you haven’t.

Judging by what you like about it, you should check out “Republic of Rome” a similarly deep and complicated game from Avalon Hill. with the additional complication that if you don’t cooperate enough, Rome falls and everybody loses…