The problems of touchscreens in the Joint Strike Fighter

This just seems to fit here…

8 Likes

Well, a wall of switches can be terrible too.

The essential functions are enabled from the side stick controller. You use the touchscreen prior to mission to do all your setups, then use the side stick controller to cycle through inputs and displays while flying. Other critical features still have switches (e.g landing gear).

1 Like

They are buying F-15X.

2 Likes

I want this so badly! Well done!

here’s the link to the files to make your own

1 Like

My Bosch dishwasher also has touch controls, and they are mostly ok but fail to respond maybe 10% of the time. It drives me nuts when that happens - even though I’m not in a life-threatening situation where someone is trying to shoot me down…

2 Likes

Here’s the link to the files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4742946

(link may not be live for a few hours)

6 Likes

I’m not sure how likely it is that these jets will ever see any action that could be considered “serious shooting scrapes.” For all their prominence in the Air Force fleet it seems to me that fighter planes that were designed to go head-to-head against other fighter planes are about as anachronistic as armored knights charging at each other with lances. It’s been quite some time since dogfights played a serious role in any armed conflict between countries.

6 Likes

Well, a normal car will still drive even if the speedometer’s broken.

Obligatory Canadian reply- it was the Avro Arrow that pioneered the concept of hydraulic feedback on fly-by-wire sticks because the non-video-gamer fighter jocks hated not feeling like they were muscling control surfaces around with their awesomeness.

The selling point for this type of thing is usually “configurability”. Making the controls virtual means you can rearrange things, swap out components in the aircraft and have the controls adapt automatically, experiment with layouts, tailor displays to the mission, etc. Not saying this is a good idea, but it is a possible design goal they had.

…riiiiight up until it doesn’t. Therein lies the problem with self-driving tech and why it’s a lot further away than people think it is. Making it work 99.99% is doable, but that last 0.01% is monumentally difficult, and will get a whole lot of people killed.

6 Likes

But it would be doing so in contravention of the law/regulations. There are regulations that the vehicle must have a speed indicator. I’d expect it to fail an MOT if not.

Basically, the MOT follows UK speedometer regulations and a vehicle will fail the MOT test if its speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, is inoperative,

So, yeah, it will still drive, but illegally. And a car that is designed so NOTHING can be operated if the screen fails is just plain wrong in my book.

Sure, and so I presume would a Tesla without a working touchscreen.

Thats a fine thing. Well done.

The touchscreen is among the least of the F-35’s problems. Check out Pierre Sprey’s comments: Defence analyst Pierre Sprey on the F-35 (2012) - the fifth estate - YouTube

@Brainspore, you win the internets today! Made me snort my day drink through my nose!

as noted above about the navy, the problem with reprogramability is that it requires the user to remember what configuration the controls are in. without some physical reminder it’s easier to get confused in stressful situations, and it slows people’s reaction times.

you need to always be able to use the same pattern of inputs at any time to achieve the result you want or trouble will happen

( it’s okay for a laptop though. personally i want knobs and dials. i don’t even care if they’re useful or not. )

2 Likes

would haptic feedback help?

Review of Surface Haptics: Enabling Tactile Effects on Touch Surfaces

Here’s a mockup of the F35 cockpit for reference

From here:

I’ve long been a fan of Logitech Harmony remotes but the newer ones with touch screens are fucking terrible. Having to “swipe to unlock” the touch part of the remote to get access to those important functions is just ludicrous.

Clearly not designed for lefties either.

1 Like

I think you’re right. If we did go up against the Russians or Chinese with these, my guess is that they would hack the F35 out of the sky. Or kill it with $100 drones.

I think they will spend more than US$ 100,00. There is a combat drone arms race going on.

1 Like