The psychology behind our perverse impulses to do bad

Originally published at: The psychology behind our perverse impulses to do bad | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The pull we feel to do wrong just for the sake of it…

We? Is this a common urge?

13 Likes

Doth we protest too much?

/s

8 Likes

what are you saying?
some take it on as a matter of “stick it to the man” and fly the black.

18 Likes

It is, even with otherwise sensible people.who don’t follow through. It’s that little voice in your head that says, just for a moment, “what if I did [insert insanely self-destructive act] right now?” There’s a wonderful term for that fleeing urge.

19 Likes

Oh, wow. I never even made that connection to your avatar before.

Hello, friend.

12 Likes

If there’s an actual story of moral wrongdoing to be told about tide pods it’s probably the decision to keep producing dangerously inedible cleaning products that looked like delicious candy even after the reports of young children and people with various cognitive impairments unironically eating them started coming in.

Obnoxious internet teenagers pretending to eat them because it made the PR flacks for a major multinational sad came later and was on much higher moral ground.

6 Likes

People who give TED talks are not the boss of me!!!

(TEDx talks, doubly so)

9 Likes

I generally am a helper personality who feels compelled to fix ALL the things, but I can appreciate that my brain is rather evil and I get to savor the option of doing bad things, even though I don’t. If that impulse control ever fails, though… :partying_face:

6 Likes

Procter & Gamble could reduce the risk by coloring the pods an unappetizing grey. They could, but they’re not going to. Because they’re run by the sort of people that advertise on Fox News.

3 Likes

Except your beard is gray.

5 Likes

Our Flag Means Deaf!

11 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

At least P&G changed the bulk container from a clear plastic one to a solid color, opaque one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.