The Punisher is getting a new logo

Bill Waterson had a slew of marketing deals with Ford and Chevy, didn’t he?

I didn’t think I could dislike The Punisher any more than I already did. He’s by far the stupidest Marvel “hero”.

4 Likes

Yep. Just look at Etsy - which is FULL of mostly small run items of trademarked and copyrighted materials. I just ordered this awesome pin and patch set yesterday!

It is a perpetual game of whackamole for people making unlicensed merch. Typically if it stays small and under the radar, they are left alone. But occasionally you get some pretty baffling decisions to enforce trademarks against fans. Nintendo comes to mind as creating some really bad examples in their zealousness to protect their brand.

Or go down to the mall and find the t-shirt shop making Rick and Morty shirts with them smoking bongs. Or using NFL logos. Etc.

But even if you did hypothetically were able to nix all the bootleg stuff, like the American flag, it doesn’t stop others from appropriating it and wearing official merch.

Ugh, poor Watterson. He left God-only-knows-how-many millions of dollars on the table because he didn’t want his comic cheapened by tie-in merchandise only to see his signature character appropriated by douchebags adorning their pickup trucks with the “pissing Calvin” meme.

8 Likes

“My other truck has rubber testicles dangling from its bumper.”

2 Likes

I think the new logo like a sea turtle swimming above me in the ocean!

that would def piss me off, too!

2 Likes

Use the Texas abortion ban model:

If anyone sees anything that looks like illegal art then they can sue for a bounty. Crowd source the legal bills! How is that for a rotten idea?

1 Like

Still, it’s nice to fantasize that Disney’s high-powered legal team could win a sweeping legal judgment allowing them to forcibly laser off the Punisher tattoos that many fascists are sporting these days…

Yikes. If they had the power to do that, there would be way more people with Disney Princesses or Star Wars tattoos.

1 Like

The Wheel of Time called. The trollocs have filed a C&D…

3 Likes

Lasers are for lightweights.

tattoo

7 Likes

Thanks for the informative answer and link.

1 Like

Holy fuck, though, if the intention was to trigger the CHUDs, it sure did work:

5 Likes

Christ, what a bunch of arseholes.

4 Likes

“The problem is that nobody reads Marvel Comics right now so it doesn’t really matter what current Punisher does,” says Van Sciver.

Data on the distribution of comic store sales in the United States according to publisher revealed that Marvel Comics’ dollar sales share in comic stores amounted to 33.5 percent in the third quarter of 2021. Ranked second that quarter was DC Comics, with a market share of 25.4 percent.

Must just be investors buying all that Marvel product.

3 Likes

Dumbasses need to learn the difference between the vagina and the vulva. Of course, this explains much.

4 Likes

I’m trying hard not to stereotype the people who wrote that article, but… yeah, they’re not doing the industry any favours.

3 Likes

DF950626

4 Likes

This was so bad I thought it was shitty satire.

Evidently not. It’s just a site with shit posting posing as articles.

The person quoted in the article I guess has ties to the site and was described like this 2 years ago about a different comic news story.

Ethan Van Sciver and the people in charge of Cosmic Book News are both proponents of the Comicsgate movement, which is a hate movement designed to target the big comic book companies like DC and Marvel over allowing diversity into their companies as well as creators, fans etc. who support a diverse version of comic books on their stands.

Ethan Van Sciver does this because he’s been hounded out of big comic book companies in spite of his history as a company man because of his horrid personal politics and is trying to promote his Youtube channel and his attempts at independently publishing his own comic books. He started a rumour about DC Comics because it gets him attention, that’s it. He has no connections to anyone anymore because no-one will touch him with a barge pole, but starting this rumour gives both him and Cosmic Book News attention. It’s mutually beneficial for them but not for the fans.

4 Likes

Feel free.

If The Shoe Fits GIF by GIPHY News

3 Likes