The real reason Van Halen demanded the removal of brown M&Ms from the backstage snack bar

Originally published at: The real reason Van Halen demanded the removal of brown M&Ms from the backstage snack bar | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It shows up on Reelz, “Breaking of the Band”. Its a well known anectdote that used to come up in interviews by the band members all the time.

Its a cute way to see if the venue was reading the contracts.

11 Likes

That’s what I had heard too, but then this article considers that and finds it dubious. It doesn’t really conclude that they were just being assholes for its own sake either though. Rather it argues they were using the contract rider (and interviews about it) as a way of building their image.

7 Likes

So a, “See! We are more clever than we look” sort of thing.

3 Likes

It was a bellwether canary.

10 Likes

That trick doesn’t really work any more with how easy it is to get a batch of single color M&Ms.

4 Likes

Spinal-tap-stonehenge GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

27 Likes

David broke down why they did it years ago

10 Likes

Whatever the reason they actually used it for, variations of that trick actually work to see if someone’s read what they’re supposed to.

Given how notoriously and dangerously negligent concert venues were, I tend to believe Roth even if there was also some level of arsehole behaviour involved.

27 Likes

Sounds like a combination of all of the above…with the asshole piece being both part of building their image and trashing of various dressing rooms.

8 Likes

Makes sense when he’s talking about accidents during other events besides theirs. I worked one summer for a fireworks display company based in Wichita, which subsequently created a horrific incident on the WSU campus for a 4th of July fireworks event when some of the fireworks fell over and shot straight into the stands. Both safety and riders are important, and should never be breezed through.

ETA: It’s been many years, but it’s possible the wind blew them over. It’s sketchy, but the point that it was problematic was the one I made sure to keep in my memory. STILL, there should have been safety considerations for that.

12 Likes

Want to have some fun? Take a few minutes to see the backstage requirements for various musicians and bands below.

12 Likes

If I remember correctly VH did have an early gig where the stage wasn’t sturdy enough for their equipment, and the electrical supply was suspect (ever play on a stage where you get a jolt from the mic?)

It could be both explanations. “We’re gonna be assholes to make sure some other assholes don’t kill us.”

13 Likes

making sure the venue read the rider, or being assholes? I only have one answer:

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

11 Likes

It still works just fine. If the promoter doesn’t read the contract, they won’t order the right colors, and they still probably f’d up something else. If they do read the contract they can have craft services order the requested M&Ms. It doesn’t matter to the band if they have “lunch ladies” sorting out the brown ones, if they’re mixing bags of not-brown M&Ms, or if they’re ordering bags of David Lee Roth mix. As long as the contract is being followed.

And they can still charge the band $1000 for five pounds of custom M&Ms.

8 Likes

(I’m inclined to believe the rider canary, if only because the types of tours that were done in the 80’s were big, massive productions and were somewhat groundbreaking, sometimes in the literal sense if the floor of the venue wasn’t rated for all the structural works and rigging that was put on stage…)

12 Likes

If they don’t change it every venue though it’s worthless. Word gets through the grapevine, you just get the mix and don’t even have to read it to have it correct.

8 Likes

But it doesn’t even originate with them - it’s an ancient Hollywood agent adage that I recall was attributed (no idea how accurately) to William Morris reps: put one “achievable reach” in your client’s rider, and, if that’s done, you can feel assured that they’ve read it thoroughly and met all the terms. They heard the well-shared advice.

10 Likes

Yes, it will tell you the contract was read. However, I don’t think it will ensure the “crucial technical and safety requirements” were being followed.

It probably just ended up diverting someone’s time with the task of removing brown m&ms rather than ensuring the “crucial technical and safety requirements” were being followed.

5 Likes

Yep, at best it’s a “test for failure to read”, not a “test for successfully meeting all terms and conditions”. Which is still an easy way to catch a decent-sized chunk of the problem cases.

6 Likes