The residents of the 'real Silent Hill' want you to leave them alone

That really was a very good, very long read; probably the longest thing I’ve read all week(I’m ashamed to admit). I counted a total of 4 horror stories.
(1)The bit at the end, a very personal tragedy.
(2)The reaction of the remaining residents to all these disaster tourists.(I imagine how I’d feel if the fans of Alan Wake came to my hometown, looking for the “real” Bright Falls. Ugh)
(3)The videogame franchise that I’ve never played
and
(4) The fire and its botched remedy. The author asserts that it wouldn’t have been hard to put it out, merely expensive, and I’d love to find out more about that! But also, it seems quite likely that this is exactly the kind of pattern we can expect from any government reaction to global warming. It’s so much easier politically to justify inaction than to perform action, it’s hard to imagine what an appropriate response might look like.

I’d like to point out that your comment is really only helpful to someone who hadn’t actually read the article.

Oh? 'Cause I’m pretty sure the only reason these two are even mentioned in the same breath, let alone the same article, is because some guy, who played absolutely no part in the inception or creation of the Silent Hill video game series, decided to use Centralia as a backdrop for his half-assed reimagining of said game series. If he had used any other abandoned town in the world… This article would be talking about that one and comparing it to Silent Hill as if they are similar. Take Pripyat after what happened to it when the Chernoble nuclear disaster happened in 1986… The article would be talking about Pripyat and SH. You see? Otherwise… This article would not exist. If you’re going to make an article about Centralia. … then make an article about Centralia and leave Silent Hill out of it. If you’re going to make an article about Silent Hill… then make an article about Silent Hill and leave Centralia out of it. Talking about them and comparing them like they are similar is just wrong… Because they’re nothing alike… also, many people probably won’t read the full article. Lol. Ever heard of the massively popular abbreviation “TL; DR”? It means, “Too long; didn’t read.” People post that when something is too long and they don’t want to take the time to read it.

Wait no… I have a better idea… let’s compare Pripyat and Centralia! Gasp

TL;DR: I am in violent agreement with the article and regurgitating it here.

2 Likes

Do you mean disagreement? I think you mean disagreement. Lulz

Wait, so you didn’t read the article?

I was being sarcastic because of your mocking tone… I don’t “violently” agree, though. Violent seems a bit harsh there. I’m just annoyed at all the people who haven’t played the games, but have seen the movies and think that’s an accurate representation of said games.

The three people left in Centralia want to be left alone? Haha. They’re stupid. They should be cashing in.

1 Like

Dante’s Theme Park

3 Likes

The article overlooks the fact that the real inspiration for Silent Hill is Kindergarten Cop.

Really.

(kind of) http://www.destructoid.com/silent-hill-based-on-kindergarten-cop-confirmed--219513.phtml

2 Likes

I would set up a facade with cool lighting and fogmakers, as close to the abandoned road as I could get land. The visitors would congregate outside the front. The fogmakers would turn on, then the siren would blare. The doors would seem like they are opening, but mysteriously slam shut and lock everybody outside. And then… :slight_smile:

Once inside, many rooms of horrors. (It could just be housed in a quonset hut.) There would be game rooms where people can play the actual series, movie rooms endlessly looping the movies, a gift shop where you could buy memorabilia and costumery. Exhibits, guest appearances, special events, and even a big hole in the floor to look down at the ACTUAL hellfire burning below our feet.

###IT WOULD BE A REAL HOOT.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.