The rich-poor obesity gap in kids is widening

The fattening calories in McDonalds food aren’t coming from complex carbs. They’re coming from the fat and sugar. If you took out the added sugar, McDonalds foods aren’t high in carbs.

2 Likes

HFCS is just another form of added sugar.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s the amount of soda consumed, not the type of sugar in it. McD’s would still be offering “bargain” combo meals that don’t charge for the soft drink (which costs them pennies) whether they contained HFCS (cheaper for political reasons) or refined cane sugar.

2 Likes

I really don’t know anybody who is eating a balance of meat, dairy and vegetables, keeping complex carbs and sugar to a minimum, and not worrying much or at all about “low-fat”, who is not doing pretty well healthwise. And I mean anybody.

Not only are they doing pretty well, but they never have to choke down anything truly disgusting, like no-fat “cream cheese”. Gaahhhh.

2 Likes

So, what you’re saying is that it’s all the gluten right?

/s

2 Likes

Insulin resistance seems to go hand in hand with a low-income US diet, as well. This results in obesity and increased occurrences of type 2 diabetes.

Obviously the fats and sugars in fast foods are an issue, but you are the first person I’ve seen refer to the refined white flour used to make McDonald’s hamburger buns as “complex carbohydrates”, or am I misunderstanding you?

Otherwise, I agree with quite a bit of what you have written.

Most Trump voters are middle class and above.

Most of the poor don’t or can’t vote. Of those who do, a strong majority vote Democrat.

Fascism is a middle-class pathology, based in the defence of fading privilege.

11 Likes

So people are too poor to afford less of a thing they consume too much of?

The starches that make up the carbs in flour are indeed complex long-chain carbohydrates. The added sugars are not. Refining the flour removes fibre, but does not alter the carbohydrates nor otherwise significantly alter the nutritional value.

1 Like

No, they’re too poor to afford more of things they don’t consume enough of. Wasn’t it clear from the article?

7 Likes

Only in the sense that that the coarse tastes and sensibilities they had at age 11 were cemented for life for them as well. To be fair to his working class and poor supporters, they haven’t had the benefits of education and disposable income and free time that expose one to the finer and healthier things in life; the middle-class people who form the core of his base have no such excuse.

1 Like

I think the big fat poor kids are going to beat the crap out of any of the slim svelte rich kids that give them any lip about their weight. Both groups parents are going to be shocked! Shocked! I say at this behavior.

Eat the Rich used to be a novel concept, but now these damn rich kids are stringy and gamey, and their flesh lacks marbling.

9 Likes

Roger that!

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferior_good and even https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giffen_good

So they need to consume more of less food? Sorry, I am not that good at doublethink.

Then article is about obesity, which is caused by consuming too many calories. Consuming less calories saves time, money and effort. I do not understand what quality of goods would have to do with it, unless the article went off on a tangent about malnutrition, which it does not. In an article just about obesity, would rather expect a discussion about fostering decision making skills, self-awareness, self-efficacy and mental health. A man can hope.

You’re totally ignorant in nutritional matters. But sure, keep on blaming poor people for being weak and greedy. Whatever suits your fantasy, bro.

8 Likes

I still find this gobsmackingly shocking when I eat out in the US. Generally speaking two of us can easily share a restaurant meal - often with leftovers. o.O

1 Like

When I was in the USA a few years ago (neuroscience conference in a Colorado ski town during mud season), most of the meals were at restaurants/diners/bars.

I took a general strategy of “if you’ve heard of it but don’t know what it is, order that”. So I got buffalo wings, and hoagies, and bison burgers, etc etc. All very tasty, all very cheap, all in absurdly large portions.

But I also discovered that I needed to (a) never order more than one thing, and (b) just shovel the food down as fast as humanly possible as soon as it arrived. If I paused at all, or tried to engage in conversation, the end of every meal would consist of a table full of Americans impatiently waiting as I tried to finish.

US obesity levels are often the target of mockery, but given the food over there it’s astonishing that any of the people are capable of walking at all.

2 Likes