The rich-poor obesity gap in kids is widening

Which is another factor for obesity: eating too fast is unhealthy for various reasons, including neurological ones that involve the feeling of satiety. Having the time to chew your meal in bite-sized pieces is important both for digestion and satisfaction.

Needless to say (but I’ll say it anyway), the time to eat properly is yet another thing that many poor people can hardly afford.

2 Likes

Apparently, only few people followed the link in the article. The study took place in the UK and there are some explanations about the obesity gap. From the article:

He and colleagues looked at the density of fast-food outlets in Norfolk between 1990 and 2008. In the poorest areas it increased by two restaurants per 10,000 residents, whereas in the richest it grew by just 0.5. Across England, there are 8.2 fast-food outlets per 10,000 people, and 11.6 in the poorest parts of the country, according to Public Health England, a government agency.

The temptation to indulge is furthered by the marketing of fatty foods. Cancer Research UK, a charity, suggests that poor children are more likely than rich ones to be exposed to junk-food ads."

I find that latter paragraph quite telling: advertising specifically targets the poorer segments of the population, not only for junk food but also for poor quality manufactured goods. I would not be surprised if the profits were higher on that market. Prices are low, but costs are probably even lower.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.