The rise and fall of cellphone company HTC

[Read the post]

1 Like

I still have the original 2013 HTC One as my phone. It’s nice except for the fact that shortly after I got it, the camera started taking pictures with a purple tint. I thought at first it was just a software problem that would be fixed, but no, it turns out that’s a known hardware problem (the camera’s sensor can get overheated and be permanently damaged). I have never heard of this happening with any other phone.

6 Likes

If you are the speculative type, this might be a great time to pick up some HTC stock. Heck, even if they sell, the stock will likely go up just before the sale.

2 Likes

I’ve been a very longterm HTC user, right back from their very early windows-mobile series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_SPV

I used HTC handsets exclusively right up until the HTC One era, that was what turned me away from them (no removable battery = no sale, no SD slot is a big negative too) Where i then switched to Samsung phones.

Interestingly, Samsung seems to be doing the exact same thing HTC did so i’ll likely be switching again for my next phone…

2 Likes

The One M9 is a beautiful phone. If I wasn’t so cheap, I’d consider picking one up. But I’m quite happy with my sub-$200 Chinese off-brand phones (currently rocking an Elephone P7000), which I think is part of the problem that HTC is facing.

1 Like

GodDAMNit. This means Half-Life 3 is going to take longer, doesn’t it?

shame. they made some great hardware at a reasonable price.

Great. Thanks for explaining why my HTC One takes pictures with a purple tint. That sucks.

1 Like

Can it be worked around by adjusting the RGB curves? If so, why did not HTC solve it in firmware, as a toggleable correction, yet?

I noticed it about 2 months ago, admittedly its an older phone, but no, I’ve tried to correct it and its a no go. It is more like a purple tint covering the whole image than a purple colour shift, it dramatically impacts contrast and colour depth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.