The ROT8000 cipher, for when ROT13 just isn't enough letters

Originally published at: The ROT8000 cipher, for when ROT13 just isn't enough letters | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This is great, but they’ve really missed an opportunity to go over 9000 here.

4 Likes

I wonder if there are downsides hiding in unicode/emoji features like combining characters and punycode that may “break” output or otherwise confound the copy/paste behavior needed for the return trip.

That’s a good question; for instance, are nonbreakable spaces …breakable? But emoji-land is avoided as emojis go from U+10000 to U+1FFFF, and this rotates chars U+0 through U+FFFF; given the U+8000 middle point (“We meet at midnight” ain’t gonna end up: :synagogue: :blush: :calling: :musical_score: :small_red_triangle: :face_with_thermometer: :bus: :sleeping: :two: :wheel_of_dharma: :dragon_face: :low_brightness: :rice_scene: :tiger: :arrow_double_down: :clock12: :zap: :ticket: :x:)

1 Like

rot26 is what I use; twice as secure as rot13!

12 Likes

Alas, I suppose rotBEEF just isn’t feasible.

1 Like

I rot13 twice for extra security.

3 Likes

They would have been better off using the emoji codepage here.

That being said, nothing beats 4 pass rot13 for the ultimate in encryption.

1 Like

The screenshot intrigued me - looks like kanji right there. So why not test this…:

Then let’s hit up Google Translate…

Well. That was interesting :wink:

2 Likes

There’s Chinese characters there but it’s a coincidence due to how Unicode character ranges work. It’s all gibberish.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.