The Sbox Ghost radio frequency sweep scanner for paranormal research

Originally published at: The Sbox Ghost radio frequency sweep scanner for paranormal research | Boing Boing

Somewhere, someone’s grandmother is buying this for them with a copy of Halo.

2 Likes

How many ghosts has it found?

3 Likes

Batteries light display, but operation is unaffected if removed.

4 Likes

Oh yay, a broken radio. This is totally a useful tool to find shit that doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

All of them. Ba dum dum :drum:

4 Likes

Amazon reviews imply these things just scan across stations and basically create cut-and-paste random sentences. Which could be entertaining.

Maybe not $99.99 entertaining, but still. . . .

3 Likes

In reality they just randomly scan across frequencies and your sense of paredolia cuts-and-pastes sentences together.

Save money by looking at billboards in rapid succession through a toilet roll tube.

3 Likes

Equally useful:

2 Likes

So here’s one in action.

It’s the modern day equivalent of a ouija board, minus the players controlling anything.

3 Likes

Burroughs did it better.

1 Like

The RF Nomad eurorack “synthesizer” is waaaay better to get spooky sounds. Because shortwave radio is for spooks.

3 Likes

Also known as an AM/FM radio.

No but I need it for samples for my noise group.

Aside from the general implausibility of ghosts; the history-of-science implications of searching for them on the AM band seem very odd to me.

There was a (not gigantic; but hardly insignificant) period of time where there were a lot of people listening for AM transmissions; but the only available transmitters were spark-gap, which (despite a whole bunch of clever fiddling to try to work around the issue) are effectively unusable for carrying audio and were relegated to morse code applications because they produced damped rather than continuous wave output.

If there were ghosts generating audio-quality AM signals there would have been rather a lot of radiotelegraph operators absolutely flipping out about hearing signals from dead guys not named ‘Morse’ on the job.

2 Likes

Sweeps? But what about the bleeps and the creeps?

To paraphrase the apocryphal joke, the Russians just use a Theremin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.