The Science of Snobbery

Sorry, I misinterpreted your reply. My apologies.

Somehow, in almost all of the discussion of this paper, few people have bothered to look at the actual paper. Indeed, it’s quite dismaying that Boing Boing doesn’t even link to it, and instead links to some sort of blog rant completely mangling the paper in order to support their preexisting views on the price of things.

In the actual paper, participants were not asked to choose between top-level and mediocre performers. They were instead asked to choose between “the top three finalists in each of 10 prestigious international classical music competitions.” That sort of judgement would be expected to be extremely difficult. Since, however, that wasn’t difficult enough, participants were asked to make these judgements based only on “6 [second] clips of the top performances.”

Since comparisons to wine seem to abound here, this would be like asking participants in a study to compare three $200 bottles of wine by drinking shots of them. Unsurprisingly, expert participants didn’t fare any better than novices in such an odd setup.

It’s very possible that, given only a six second clip, more information about the performance quality can be gleaned from video, and how the performer moves, rather than such a short bit of audio, which may in fact simply be a distraction. Note that in examining why video was more useful, it was found that static visual cues, like the appearance of the performer, were not particularly important, while asking participants to choose the performer being most “passionate,” “motivated,” or “creative” ended up with them choosing the winners significantly (though as with the entire paper, not vastly) higher than chance. In other words, the movements of the performer, which are reasonably part of the performance, are what seemed to matter most in such short segments.

13 Likes

I have been reading about bias and one of the most common heuristic errors is, when confronted by a hard problem, to substitute a simpler one and use that answer. It could be when confronted with having to make a judgement with such limited material many choose (unconsciously) to use visual cues to assess something as vague as “passion.”

So this paper becomes a study in frustration more than expertise.

Also love your point that the performance of the musician is as much a part of the work as the notes on the page. Music is first a performance medium and the entire performance should be considered the standard, not some artificial sub-part that shows up on an audio recording. The entire environment of music performance has evolved in concert with our enjoyment of it. (see what I did there?)

1 Like

Reviewing, there was a hint of snark in my remark. Unintended, but there. So I apologize also.

Olive oil is graded based on acidity. 73% of the imported olive oil marked “extra virgin,” aren’t pure olive oil and fail to meet US and International standards. They are often mixed with other oils to lower the acidity which gets them past spot checks, but also reduces the flavor substantially. I assure you that the McEvoy’s extra virgin olive oil (lovely, but shockingly expensive) sitting in my cabinet has just a strong of an olive taste as any virgin grade olive oil.

Of course, the same study found that 44% of US consumers prefer the taste of rancid olive oil (learned behavior?) so who knows?

1 Like

Thank you, Cegev. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I don’t see much that can really be concluded given the flawed methodology.

1 Like

In support of this: the thing that struck me immediately doesn’t necessarily apply to all instrumental performances, but–I once saw Olga Kern in performance, and was bowled over. So was the piano. She used her whole body in the same way that someone in the hammer throw uses their whole body–it was incredible! If the field were limited to the creme de la creme (those unlikely to hit wrong notes, forget the piece, etc. :wink: ) I’m sure that the quality of athleticism as in her playing would be visually evident–it isn’t like they’re talking hairstyles or facial expression!

(p.s.: just because we don’t all aspire to the sophisticated abilities of the master sommelier doesn’t mean that the distinctions they reliably perceive don’t exist, and even the linked article acknowledges this. Kinnnddddd of an asshole headline.)

2 Likes

It’s a bit sad, lonely and exclusive if you can only enjoy a glass of bubbly surrounded by jewels (and jewel thieves).

Kroger’s Extra Virgin plastic 1 litre bottle. Best price-per-ounce on the shelf (some of the olive oils that aren’t “extra virgin” are cheaper, but too olive-y for my taste) and with a flavor profile that my chef buddy gave the OK to after trying it at my house. which is subjective on his part, but part of the reason we’re buddies in the first place is that he’s a practical kind of guy. I wasn’t really aware of “flavor profiles” in EVOO, I just went for price; his assessment was an ancillary benefit, for whatever that’s worth.

That is incredibly expensive booze.

I shared a bottle of £300 wine with someone a couple of days back (they had been given it as a gift). It was fucking horrible. I’ve had incredible wines that cost around £20-£40, but this was a massive disappointment.

I’ve had cheap wines were nicer than expensive ones. Not always, but enough that it pisses me off.

1 Like

The word “snobbery” actually has a definition. Liking good things isn’t the definition. If you’re willing to insult people not only for being uncool, but even for being cool in the wrong way, you’re definitely headed in that direction, such as the OP.

2 Likes

Home brewing is a rather popular hobby in Canada. Go figure.

2 Likes

This is why I tend to sit at the back (in the center somewhere) with my eyes closed. Fools think I’m a bad audience because I’m “not paying attention”.

Similarly, I suspect this is why so many people thought Susan Boyle was god’s gift to song for a little while. Not because of the quality of her singing but rather the quality of her singing vs. their expectations of what that singing would sound like, which were based on her appearance.

Well, if you enjoy getting a hangover from 3 drinks, you can drink the plastic bottle stuff…

I’ve had $30/ bottle beer before, and it can be worth it. Usually only if it’s 750ml and says “Barley Wine” on it somewhere though.

At the same time, if you assume costs more= tastes better, you are truly a fool. John Cleese had a special on wine and the takeway from it really was “buy what you like and don’t let anyone tell you that you shouldn’t like it.”

In Japan, they drink red wine chilled, which eliminates a lot of the flavor. After trying a significant number of $15-20 bottles that I could get at the local stores, and being extremely disappointed, I realized that a $7 bottle of Australian wine was the best wine I could get in that town. I eventually became convinced that european makers unload their crappy wine that doesn’t work out in East Asia, because drinking it cold, you can’t tell the difference, so they can gat rid of it without diluting their brands.

Well, not really: it’s all about how long you boil the maple sap. Here in New Brunswick, people generally prefer the stronger, more maple-y syrup, so it’s boiled a little longer. In Quebec, people like their syrup sweeter, so the sap is boiled a little less.

All the time I lived in Montreal, I missed the stronger, sharper, more woody flavour of the NB maple syrup.