The shield you want -- DEVO selling Energy Dome PPE face shields

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/15/the-shield-you-want-devo-se.html

8 Likes

Maybe it’s just this photo, but that plastic shield does not seem very clear.

1 Like

15 Likes

Wow, that’s… Wow.

1 Like

Too soon.

2 Likes

Awesomeness!

I am surprised they are not offering the accompanying DEVO turtleneck PPE…

WhipIt

19 Likes

I guess it mainly protects from evil spuds, though it could be useful in protecting others from your subgenius ways. Me, as an old, has-been episkopos, I prefer to not attract the fnords.

Still digging their music, though. And even Mark Mothersbaugh’s recent work on Disenchanted.

6 Likes

Are we not sick?

8 Likes

When a virus comes along…

8 Likes

Eliminate the ninnies and the twits.

5 Likes

Definitely worth a miss… with no warning, they’re charging $50 for shipping one hat.

That’s not cool.

Wish I’d known.

3 Likes

I believe they are through being cool…

:musical_note: Going to bang some heads
:musical_note: Going to beat some butts
:musical_note: Time to show those evil spuds what’s what

5 Likes

Clearly they are making a bold statement that, during a pandemic, man is real, not made of steel. You have your freedom of choice in products, but the true Jocko Homo’s will gear up and enjoy a beautiful world. At $50 though? I can’t get no satisfaction when I’m working in the coal mine.

2 Likes

Q: Are We Not Disease Vectors? A: We Are Devo!

2 Likes

A friend of mine really wants to buy one, but the website is being pounded so hard, he can’t submit his order.

To each their own, but I would console your friend by reminding them they are saving $70-$100 on some plastic crap that doesn’t even come assembled and still requires that you purchase other parts in order to be worn. (Another $10-$20 for a hard hat suspension kit)

This company is clearly making a GIANT money grab. Personally it’s a little offensive, if you can afford this junk in this time, the money should be going to charities. $40 for two face masks and $70 for a stupid prop helmet? This just goes to show the disparity that exists in this crisis. Some people can’t afford food and rent while others buy crap like this.

And do watch out. I wanted to see how someone could have paid $50 for shipping because of an earlier post above and it does in fact default to the most expensive overnight shipping option.

2 Likes

In some of the circles that Mothersbaugh and other Devo members go in, fleecing your own fans is allowed, as long as you are blatant about it. Make it part of the joke. If this is the case, then it’s too subtle. Me, I suspect this has about as much connection to Devo as the Boing Boing shop has to the Boing Boing BBS.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.