The skeuomorphic hell of music-making apps

For quite some time, this is what I was going for, and then I read this:

“Since a hardware mixing console isn’t something we need anymore, it’s become something we want.”
-Brandon Drury ( Original full post is gone, but a copy can be found here )

This thing to chase isn’t something inherently magical about the tools but in building a good workflow that doesn’t get in the way of creativity. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with plugins with knobs and virtual patch cables if, and only if they allow you to work faster than without them. For a lot of people, seeing a virtual representation of a physical object makes a hell of a lot more sense than a bunch or sliders with parameter labels on them. Having glowing tubes that glow brighter as you turn a dial give a sense of feedback that people find useful.
Of course, you can take it too far, especially for people just getting started who might be tempted to mix a track with their eyes instead of their ears, but once you know what you’re doing then workflow is king, and however one can do that, then that’s the best way to do it.
Daisy chaning a couple of BCR2000s makes sense for a lot of people, but I found out it’s not for me, because it doesn’t make me faster.
I’ve scaled down my hardware controllers down to this:

Arm track, record, undo, play, stop and a shuttle wheel.
I’m actually in the process of getting rid of a lot of hardware I just don’t use. Similarly, I’ve started favoring plugins that make sense to me, rather than trying to chase a specific sound, I’m actually paring down to a few essential plugins, If I use a couple of different EQs, its going to be because each one allows me to zoom in on the sound I’m looking for faster than another one.

I think one of the biggest problems with interfaces trying to replicate hardware models is the idea that some people have about a certain sound that is only achievable using a certain reverb, or compressor.
(Steps on soapbox)
There’s no real mystery to EQ, you want to cut or boost a certain frequency? you don’t need an expensive virtual replica for that hardware box to do that. Just about any plugin will do the job. Same goes for delay, compression and other effects. But if you’re intent on replicating a specific sound, and that sound was created on a hardware box with three knobs and only two positions each, then of course its going to be trivial to replicate that sound using a virtual plugin that replicates that. It makes total sense, to pay money for that if it will allow you to work faster and deliver quicker.
But you could probably replicate that with one of the stock plugins that comes pre packaged with your DAW, and more. If you’re willing to invest the time to do that.

So I don’t think there’s anything wrong with skeumorphic interfaces, in fact, if properly designed, the limitations imposed by the interface can be a catalyst for creativity. The problem I have is with the idea that certain hardware has magic properties as far as sound goes. And the idea that reproducing hardware in virtual form allows us to capture that magic.
If Jimmy Hendrix Handed me his white Stratocaster at Woodstock, and I mean like he just took it off and handed it off to me, still plugged in to the same amps using the same cables and pedals, going through the same PA and tuned up just like he likes it, I would still not sound like him. Same thing with plugins and hardware: trash in/trash out.
(Steps off of soapbox, grabs a Coke, looks int the camera, tips hat, rides off into sunset)

7 Likes

The money quote from that was in the conclusion

Really, I don’t even need that. All I really need is an audio interface with a DSP routing matrix that I can control with a control surface. (Not sure if that’s out or not.) Controlling headphone mixes on the fly is a feature I can’t live without any more. Reverb should always be .04 seconds away. THAT is something analog consoles are awesome at.

I think you and I kind of reached that same point just differently. Probably somewhat due to differences of style of work. I built my setup to do dub mixes and for that I (personally) need faders and knobs thus the 3 Mackie units.

Also as Brandon Drury said:

“Maintenance” scares the hell out of me.

The last thing I want is a full mixing desk and tape machines. I don’t want to go back to that past. No siree. Spent too many hours of my youth maintaining tape machines, cleaning gunk out of mixers, etc etc etc.

I did try the BCR2000 and that was part of what started my deep revulsion with Behringer and what prompted me to spend a big chunk of change on the Mackie units.

Theres a few older hardware devices like compressors that I’d go for the software replica of the specific hardware. Maybe I could replicate em in a stock Logic plugin but I never quite did. Some stuff like a Space Echo, I actually only want the hardware version but honestly I’m good with the Audio Damage DubStation 2 plugin. Its part of my standard Logic load out and already mapped on my C4.

As above, sometimes I want a specific known sound of specific hardware but either can’t source it or can’t afford it so I’ll go the extra mile to get the right replica. If I ran a commercial recording studio I might say different but I’m not sure. Having stuff .04 seconds away really is important sometimes. That relates to the workaround I mentioned before. Even with the control surfaces I have, for me its still not as fast as discreet hardware. The faders are great but the knobs by virtue of being so many bunched together just arent as fast workflow wise as discreet hardware I don’t even have to spare a fraction of a second for my hand to know where it is exactly.

BTW thanks for that linked essay. Nice stuff.

Yes, something like nanoloop was a fun toy. I’ll check out renoise!

1 Like

I like it, but I haven’t made anything worth releasing yet. The fact that it’s cheaper than the other options ($50, you get the current version and the next release) was attractive too, given that I’m a student.

Because deep down, all geeks have just a bit of Tom Paris in us?

Funny that the complaint is about mismatched UI Elements but the screenshot is Reason, where the rack and mixer are very cohesive.

In Logic, you can choose to use the plugin GUI or just a list of parameter sliders. Guess which one is preferred by nearly all users?

1 Like

That’s funny, I don’t remember that episode of STTNG. :smiley:

1 Like

Must be some bad fan production.

1 Like

I’d supply the gif, but the HDCP conspiracy prevents me from doing so. pity.

1 Like

I interpreted it more as a criticism of the ersatz, feeling that the only way to market your product is to disguise it as something else.

Does it matter how many people prefer it? It can still be a regressive tendency, despite being supposedly popular.

A few factors missing from the linked article that it would benefit from: 1. How the skeuomorphic tendencies of replicating a handful of controls on a device, or the linearity of a magnetic tape studio have an effect upon the output of those programs. Such a paradigm eschews modern synthesis methods which can have hundreds of parameters to control. Or compositional nonlinearity, such as multiple concurrent timelines. Or time loops, time points, time hyperspheres - all pretty easy to juggle on a general purpose computer. 2. A comparison with non-graphical music-making apps, such as Chuck, SuperCollider, etc. How the experiences and results of working within those environments differs.

1 Like

Great points.

1 Like

You seem to be setting up a scenario of “working musician/producer vs experimental musician producer”. When I see words like “regressive” and “modern” my Weasel Word DEW Line starts throwing off lots of alarms. The earliest synths after all could well have had hundreds of parameters to control, didnt mean they were better in any way than the tools we have today, just different.

Non-linearity and time issues are not so much related to DAWs & plugins or at least related in the hammer vs screwdriver sense of both are tools.

Were I to compare non GUI tools like C-Sound to a GUI DAW, I’d say the first is wall punchingly frustrating and the second might or might not allow for greater productivity but since its a choice of tools its completely subjective to the working style of the individual.

1 Like

Well, I’ve certainly heard Voyager described less charitably.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.