The slow dying of Fry's

J&R was great, sadly they never recovered from 9/11.

That was part of the problem.

But from what I understand the thing that did them in was that most New York of things, a dispute with the landlord.

2 Likes

I worked at a Haltek – formerly Haltex, so newcomers would ask, “Where’s Hal? Where’s Tex?” The store manager mostly hired radio hams, so the staff at least possessed technical chops. (My background was in communications and software engineering so I was acceptable.) The store might be dusty but all staff knew where stuff was.

After moving away, I stopped at a Fry’s electro-mart about twice and was never impressed. Fry’s groceries are OK.

Yeah, I remember (maybe it’s still fabricated) the times when tour busses would stop at Fry’s. ISTR it seemed like mostly japanese tourists. Not too sure why they didn’t just make their way to the Akihabara district… And rumor was that japanese camera equipment was cheaper in the States. Due to the exchange rate or something?

1 Like

Is this any relation to HSC Electronics, which used to do business online as “Halted”? I used to go to a HSC in Cotati at least once/year, but they closed that location. I think the one in San Jose is still open, though they’ve been bought by someone else.

HSC Cotati indeed. Did you know George?

Not by name. I’m not at all local, but was in the neighborhood once or twice per year so would stop in. That’s not really often enough to establish a relationship, even over a 20 year period.

We used to have camera shops here in Honolulu that catered almost exclusively to Japanese tourists; they sold grey-market equipment far below the Japanese price (though above the price for the same grey-market cameras from shops in Brooklyn).

it’s been 20 years since i’ve been… but i remember loving the 5-mile moving sidewalk cuz my friends would get so pissed cuz i wouldn’t save half-an-hour by just taking the stairs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.