The Smithsonian needs your help transcribing Phyllis Diller's gag file

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/02/the-smithsonian-needs-your-hel.html

8 Likes

She was a hoot!

9 Likes

I saw her perform late in her career - maybe 2005 or so? And she was HILARIOUS, wearing a crazy wig and short sparkly dress, cracking super corny jokes… Totally worth the price of the ticket, and then some.

7 Likes

Crowd sourced gag-scanning. She would have thought this was funny.

6 Likes

Not included in this “gag file” is the riff she’d have made on the term “gag file” if the room were right. (Probably something involving Milton Berle.)

Phyllis could work as blue as any of 'em. Actually, Wikipedia says I’m wrong about this, and I probably am. Apologies for accidentally presenting my secret fantasies as fact.

7 Likes

I’m not participating but depending on how far back these go, some of them would’ve been written by my mother. She sold a few to Diller circa 1960-62.

Diller and my mom are both gone, but I still have a couple of photos autographed to my mother somewhere in some box in the basement.

14 Likes

Um, how did you find my Phyllis Diller gag files?

17 Likes

[quote]
Category
Author or Comedian(ne)
DD/MMM/YYYY
Joke[/quote]

Oh, for the love of all things holy, when will people stop using stupid date formats?
#ISO8601 https://xkcd.com/1179/

5 Likes

Right after we stop using antique temperature, volume and distance measurements?

12 Likes

Twitterbot needed.

2 Likes

Interesting, the sample card category, “Orben Gag”, suggests it was written for Diller by comedy writer Robert Orben. Orben wrote a number of gags about take-home pay but not the exact one on the card that I can see. Is the gag by him or by Diller in Orben style? Orben is apparently still alive, so would be interesting to ask him.

1 Like

This was just published today:

Many of the conversions merely involve dividing/multiplying by 100, yet they are still dragging their feet. (granted, the other primary conversion involves a conversion factor of 37,000,000,000)

Phillis Diller was once a contestant on Groucho’s ‘You Bet Your Life’ and it was very early in her career, before she adopted the fright wig. Pretty interesting.

1 Like

Typed. OCR?

3 Likes

transcribes as

CHARACTERS
AUGUST 25th, 1993
PLAYBOY PARTY JOKES
QUASIMODO THE BELL RINGER OF NOTRE DAME, WAS PERFORMING HIS USUAL DUTIES WHEN THE GREAT CATHEDRAL CAUGHT FIRE. CLIMBING TO THE HIGHEST TOWER TO ESCAPE THE FLAMES, THE HUNCHBACK TEETERE] ON THE EDGE. "JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! THOUSANDS OF PARISIANS SHOUTED FROM BELOW. QUASIMODO RESPONDE1 BY POINTING TO THE HUMP ON HIS BACK. "WHAT DO
you Pt

Almost, but not quite.

3 Likes

I feels a bit guilty. I spotted two transcription errors, but haven’t yet bothered to make an account, as a deadline is about to whoosh right by.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.