The song that helped rap music usurp rock as the king of cool

Originally published at: The song that helped rap music usurp rock as the king of cool | Boing Boing

1 Like

That depends on authenticity and what demographics you’re focusing on. I grew up in Latin America which historically has a massive rock fan base, i’m sure it has skewed more towards other genres over the years but i can’t say i consider rap or gangsta culture to be the peak of cool. Objectively i’m sure most people would agree with you but i find it to be played out, toxic and tiresome.

10 Likes

Marty DiBergi: What would you do if you couldn’t play music anymore?

Mick Shrimpton: Well, as long as there’s, y’know, sex and drugs, I could do without the rock & roll.

20 Likes

What’s the TL;DR on this?

7 Likes

“Rap” came slightly after “rock and roll” in human development.

15 Likes

And if we’ve lucky, something will follow Rap.

5 Likes

It was “Nuthin’ But A ‘G’ Thang” by Dr Dre / Snoop Dogg, in the library, with the candlestick.

24 Likes

Endless balalaika

12 Likes

Reggaeton

4 Likes

Rastabilly Skank.

8 Likes

I’m betting on some kind of Country-Sludge fusion.

5 Likes

I agree. I’m not a fan of gangsta culture either. I love rap, but I’m WAY more of a rock fan.

2 Likes

Humans like edgy almost out of bounds stuff.

Rock n’ roll stars trash hotel rooms. Rap stars get shot, charged with murder, and are frequently actual criminals.

…so guess which is more edgy?

(er, and that particular date was chosen for Nuthin’ But a G’ Thang, which was break out popular and had a gritty real world feel video)

Personally for me Rock n’ Roll is still king…but I’m also old, so I’m not bucking the demographic in any way.

1 Like

Hopefully soon.

2 Likes

There’s rap and hip hop artists that are making amazing music and art so i’m not discounting all of it just for clarification :slight_smile: i just find it hard to connect to most of what i hear

6 Likes

there was the gangsta element in rap ever since Schooly D, but to me the shame of how The Chronic and the G Funk era played out was that instead of gangsta being one style of rap among conscious afrocentrism, party rhymes, miami bass, political, funny, storytelling, or anything else, it became the only style; or like he said, the background default to any subsequent successful rap artist. you couldn’t be Biz Markie anymore. whatever else (assuming there was anything else) you wanted to rap about, you had to be HARD first and foremost (and you can check Blacksheep for how I feel about that)

you can see this happening in real time via 2pac. here he is at age 17:

and this screenshot is I believe his first appearance in a video, Digital Underground’s All Around the World

and then came the time when he shared a stage with his good friend Biggie Smalls and no I am not being ironic

and then he had to be more gangsta than him to keep up appearances and they both got murdered.

7 Likes

Classical and Jazz can never die.

8 Likes

clears throat

:thinking:

9 Likes

I love hip hop.

Rap? Not so much…

9 Likes

Allow my favorite rhymer from across the pond to pontificate on that fact.

8 Likes