The Space Shuttle Endeavour's 26th and final mission, through the streets of LA, was 10 years ago this month

Originally published at: The Space Shuttle Endeavour's 26th and final mission, through the streets of LA, was 10 years ago this month | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That stop at the donut shop led to some excellent iconic photos:

I also enjoyed the arrival flight over Disneyland which I got to witness firsthand.

5 Likes

Terrific presentation of this story. Thanks for sharing it.

Fun fact: the only shuttle you can actually go inside is the Space Shuttle Trainer, a 1:1 identical mock up that every single shuttle astronaut trained in before they flew in the real thing. It is at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, and you can do cockpit, crew, and cargo bay walk-throughs. I’m 6’3" and, as large as the shuttle appears to be, I can attest that it’s very tight inside.

2 Likes

There’s also this one:

In addition to the replica shuttle you can go inside the 747 that was Houston’s consolation prize when they weren’t given one of the real shuttles for their museum. (I remember reading about how they were pissed about that decision)

1 Like

I remember driving south on Sepulveda near LAX then and seeing the Shuttle on city streets just a block to the east. BIG surprise!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.