The "specialness spiral" explains why you buy something and never use it

The most satisfying thing I’ve seen all day!

When I die & go to heaven I expect I’ll be reunited with all the jars of peanut butter I’ve ever debased, their tops restored to untouched perfection. All the peanuts will be there too, as they were right before being ground into the peanut butter. (it’s heaven, it doesn’t have to make sense)

6 Likes

Regarding recent discussions in these forums, that’s an excellent example of when it’s appropriate to reply with a jif.

13 Likes

Just so long as you have bought all the instruments and recording equipment so you’re ready…

4 Likes

Think I played the first Pillars of Eternity game without understanding how to best deploy the potions I had cooked up.

I worked on a paper machine years ago. A technical manager was a friend of mine. One day I complemented her on her bracelet, and asked what it was made from. I wasn’t able to guess at all.

“Platinum, with yellow gold decoration.”
“Um, that sounds a bit … fancy? For a shift on a paper machine?”
She laughed. “You remember when my house burned down a couple years ago?” Of course I did. “I had a box of jewellery I was ‘saving’ for a special occasion. It all burned or melted, and we’ll never know which bit of ash was from what. It wasn’t ‘saved’ at all. So now if I have jewellery, I wear the damn stuff.”

9 Likes

I think there are different categories on unused things.
The first one is about fungible items like stationery, so one doesn’t use it and waits a special occasion.
The second one is the cultural stuff like books, CD, vinyl, DVD. I have a pile of books I bought and have to read sometimes, a smaller pile of 33 to listen and a couple of CD I’d like to listen with attention. In case of music, I have lot of CD and 33 I listened once or twice and then put back, sometimes i stumble on them and try to remember why I bought them.
This is similar on what happens on appliance and kitchenware. I have stuff that was thinking was useful and I used maybe once or twice.
The 3rd one is the aspirational thing, stuff that one plans to use in the future and then either for procrastination or external changes isn’t used.

2 Likes

Everything I buy gets used and I’m like a kid on Christmas morning every time the Amazon truck shows up. I’m waiting for a 60 dollar tool to show up today that I only need for one project but it will go in the tool chest in case I never need it again (not likely).

The exception is things I have on hand for emergencies or just in case I need them but even those things get opened and tried just so I’m ready when the need arises. Lots of camera equipment so I am prepared for any situation. Some of it has only been used once but I can’t bring myself to sell it because I might need it again.

The wife and I never buy clothes until we need them so those get worn immediately.

I was just reading a discussion on an RV forum where people were talking about never using the bathroom or shower or stove in their RV for reasons. Seems silly but it’s their RV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.