The story of how cancelled sci-fi show UFO led to hit series Space: 1999

Something tells me “Dragon’s Domain” is still some scary shit though … like, it’s on YouTube but I still don’t want to see it again :grimacing:

5 Likes

The sideburns were definitely weird.

2 Likes

Ha. I was working as designer at Mattel when they came out with these licensed toys. Had to do mini figures (tho still out of scale) to fit inside a reasonably scaled and affordable ship. The much larger 11 inch GIJoe, Action Man, Big Jim, etc, was still the format for action figures until Star Wars popularized the 3+” size.

7 Likes

I loved Space 1999 when I was a kid. It was shown here on Friday afternoons and I learned to associate it with that expansive whole-weekend ahead feeling.

Buck Rogers was shown here on Sunday early evening and I learned to associate that with existential Monday morning dread…

I binge watched both again during lockdown and everything I had loved about them (mostly sets and spaceships, as a kid I never really cared about the plots) was still there. Space 1999 in particular is IMO one of the best looking sci-fi shows ever.

6 Likes

I believe the semi-canon explanation was that Victor’s artificial heart failed and he died between seasons. Fun fact: the producer they brought in for season two, Fred Freiberger, was the same producer who was responsible for the decrease in quality of the third season of the original Star Trek. Technically not his fault, he was doing what he was told in both cases; bring the budget down.

3 Likes

I just watched another fan documentary (I think by the same person/people who did the one linked here), and it was painful watching Bain and Landau wax enthusiastic about Frieberger’s changes in season two, and then a much older Landau trash the changes, when it was safe to do so.

2 Likes

Space 1999__Never Forget

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.