The strawberries in this photo are blue

Completely O/T but High Cyan sounds like a fantastic place to go hiking. Or a terrible one. Its motto: “Where not only the skies are blue!”

2 Likes

I know a guy who knows a guy who did this (this isn’t an urban legend thing, this is a my friend had a professor at university thing). It took a while for the vision to flip, the it took a while to flip back after stopping wearing them. But after a few times, the flipping become instantaneous. Then, by thinking about what happens when you put them on and off, you can develop conscious control over it, and flip your vision upside down whenever you want.

I think I still do. I don’t know. I don’t know how to tell whether I’m seeing red or just knowing that they are red.

7 Likes

True dat. Ours are pink.

4 Likes

Here are the strawberries with the background taken out.

7 Likes

Or are they actually snozzberries?!

3 Likes

5 Likes

Neat! Thanks.

According to Pantone™ that is Shanghai Sky Blue

4 Likes

yeah, i agree.

in the original photo the colors all have high red values, they just have slightly, in many cases imperceptibly higher blue values. Which doesn’t make them blue, nor does it mean they aren’t red. It mean they are red with a blue cast to the photo, and reddish bluish purple grey when not factoring the cast.

4 Likes

Reupuely.

2 Likes

Fun with perceptual gradients:

The block on the right and the entire arm it is extending into the strawberry is all the same shade of grey.

I see the Strawberry side of the arm as slightly red, and perceive a gradient along the arm turning to grey with seemingly no extra colour by the time it reaches the block on the right.

But… I can also ‘switch off’ the red in the arm by concentrating on the block and vice versa, I cannot make the strawberries ‘not red’.

14 Likes

It’s also one of the hottest new CMS templates!..

1 Like

Gah, that would scare me. I’d be afraid it would do it on it’s own and drive me crazy, or into a ditch.

Yarr! It’s drivin’ me nuts!

3 Likes

The weirdest vision thing that happened to me was when I had cataract surgery, with the implanted lens correcting my extreme myopia. The doc waited three weeks before doing the second eye. It was really difficult doing anything with one very near-sighted eye and one good eye. I tried using my computer by holding the bad eye shut, but that got really tiring. I tried taking one lens out of my glasses, but that just gave me one images of two different sizes, since my old glasses are so strong they shrink everything.

Finally I tried using an eye patch over the bad eye, and after about ten minutes I started seeing weird stuff in that eye, mechanical shapes that moved and twisted and changed. I think the optical circuitry knew it was open, and was trying to interpret nothing. I wish I could have videoed it.

I gave up and listened to music. Seeing clearly was worth it, of course. And for the first time I have glasses that aren’t half an inch thick.

4 Likes

I think about this sometimes- I clearly remember colour in those TV shows, although I know it wasn’t there.

My favourite movie is the Wizard of Oz, because it’s awesome, for one thing! But, I also just really get a kick out of watching the sudden switch to colour after the intro part, and imagining the audiences of the time just blown away by it.

3 Likes

I don’t actually SEE any red in that version, but my brain really really wants to. It’s like a weird argument between my perceptions.

1 Like

Film about that experiment, or one very like it:

Yeah color is more complex than that. Specially comparing real objects to digital objects. That is why many tools like the Nix sensor (https://nixsensor.com/?ref=3) exist. Sometimes objects just surprise you when it comes to its color composition.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.