The strawberries in this photo are blue

If you put them in a paper bag with another fruit they’ll ripen in a day. Ethylene gas iirc.

Looking at it through a hole is good. The first person that I know of that did this to isolate a colour from its context was this guy…

If ‘colour’ means the sensation in your head, rather than something you measure with an instrument, then it is extraordianarily hard to model well. The temptation is to model the eye like an RGB camera, which gets you most of the way, but this camera has a middle high-resolution bit - the fovea - that does all the precision vision. However, the fovea has few blue receptors, and sits under a yellow macular dye. The surrounding peripheral vision sees significantly different colours, though will little sharp vision, and horrible chromatic abberration (which we do not see at all). So you are effectively seeing everything with foveal RGb and peripheral R’G’B’. If you have two monitors with different primaries, you can match them so they give a good visual match for all each small region of colour, but still get a paradoxical sense that the overall white point is different.

Head-hurty, no?

5 Likes

Apparently, the most difficult part of doing the upside-down glasses thing is that not everything flips at once. It is probably rather nauseating.

3 Likes

I think the lesson here is that we haven’t memorised the names for the kind of slightly pastel greys that we’re talking about.

When the values are so close, any slight difference becomes noticeable.

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s one of my favourite Ad Reinhardt paintings…

2 Likes

Here’s the image with the red ACTUALLY pulled out.

Meh. I don’t see any red at all anymore, that way.

3 Likes

Completely O/T but High Cyan sounds like a fantastic place to go hiking. Or a terrible one. Its motto: “Where not only the skies are blue!”

2 Likes

I know a guy who knows a guy who did this (this isn’t an urban legend thing, this is a my friend had a professor at university thing). It took a while for the vision to flip, the it took a while to flip back after stopping wearing them. But after a few times, the flipping become instantaneous. Then, by thinking about what happens when you put them on and off, you can develop conscious control over it, and flip your vision upside down whenever you want.

I think I still do. I don’t know. I don’t know how to tell whether I’m seeing red or just knowing that they are red.

7 Likes

True dat. Ours are pink.

4 Likes

Here are the strawberries with the background taken out.

7 Likes

Or are they actually snozzberries?!

3 Likes

5 Likes

Neat! Thanks.

According to Pantone™ that is Shanghai Sky Blue

4 Likes

yeah, i agree.

in the original photo the colors all have high red values, they just have slightly, in many cases imperceptibly higher blue values. Which doesn’t make them blue, nor does it mean they aren’t red. It mean they are red with a blue cast to the photo, and reddish bluish purple grey when not factoring the cast.

4 Likes

Reupuely.

2 Likes

Fun with perceptual gradients:

The block on the right and the entire arm it is extending into the strawberry is all the same shade of grey.

I see the Strawberry side of the arm as slightly red, and perceive a gradient along the arm turning to grey with seemingly no extra colour by the time it reaches the block on the right.

But… I can also ‘switch off’ the red in the arm by concentrating on the block and vice versa, I cannot make the strawberries ‘not red’.

14 Likes

It’s also one of the hottest new CMS templates!..

1 Like

Gah, that would scare me. I’d be afraid it would do it on it’s own and drive me crazy, or into a ditch.