The strawberries in this photo are blue

Here it is color-balanced … looks pretty red to me!

8 Likes

I poked a hole in a post-it and looked through that and sure enough, it was all dirty greys and blues no matter where you looked. But in the gestalt, those berries are red.

11 Likes

What, did you travel from a solar system with a yellow sun, hmmmmm?

1 Like

These purportedly taste like pineapple.

10 Likes

Ah, the scientific method. Refreshing!

When I saw the checkerboard illusion on-line I printed it out and chopped it up with scissors.

16 Likes

Illusions like this are a good reminder that the human brain is like an enormous fish.

9 Likes

Even contrasting the original image with bright red, there’s still a heap of red in them berries!

5 Likes

If you look at the separate channels you’ll see there’s plenty of red in the red channel. When you overlay a color over another color the eye dropper tends to pickup the overlay color or a combination of all the colors. :yum:

That one is my favorite example.

2 Likes

It’s all an illusion!

9 Likes

I have a pair of sunnies I don’t wear much, cause they have an orangey-brown tint. I put them on the other day and was like, damn, this sucks. But a few minutes later it was fine.

4 Likes

If these weren’t strawberries (but rather abstract shapes) would this still work? What if they were something that isn’t normally red (e.g. limes) made to look red, then blue filter applied?

1 Like

I have read that you can put on glasses that turn everything upside-down, and after about a week or ten days, things will look normal.

5 Likes

This is bogus. There is plenty of red in there. That is–a lot of red spectrum wavelengths. Remove the red channel --which turns off the red pixels on your screen–and it no longer looks red. Or remove the other channels–which darken the non-red pixels–and the whole thing is red. Consequently, the red-sensitive cones are firing when you look at it. This isn’t even a good illusion–like the shading illusion above, or a curious/strange one–like the blue/gold dress. This is why science isn’t just twitter attention, but involves empirical evidence and peer review.

3 Likes

We have some of those in our garden. We’re hoping to get some fruit this year.

4 Likes

Blueberries aren’t blue!

4 Likes

FWIW, “Reddest” part is 187 177 188

3 Likes

I remember that; I thought it was three days.

1 Like

pinapple-ISH. very sweet and pleasant.

i found that i had to cut my patch back every annually with a mower on the highest setting in order to get it to consistently fruit. same as i did with the french alpine. they’d fruit if i didn’t, but only sparsely.

they aren’t “keeping” strawberries, but they are fantastic fresh picked on pancakes.

7 Likes

4 Likes