The struggles and triumphs of Indigenous communities around the world

Straight down from the Koch network think tanks, to the Conservatives and provincial parties, to the racist Denialists on the ground.

3 Likes

My grandmother was half Kanien’keha:ka as well (Kahnawa:ke folk though they lived off the rez) , I could never get her or my dad to talk about their First Nations heritage. It was frustrating until I was old enough to realize this was a source of shame rather than pride. It hurts my heart still.

3 Likes

That’s just awful to hear. I’m so sorry.

5 Likes

Most folks, though fewer and fewer, realize how recent much of this is, the 60’s Scoop, the Millennial Scoop, lots of those people are still alive; the last residential school closed in the 90’s.

5 Likes

Yeah, for sure… Faulkner said it best…

People really should know much more about the residential schools (up there in Canada, down here, and in Australia). They did real damage to people’s lives and culture that is still causing pain and suffering today.

If you’ve never read it, the Residential schools come up in Joe Sacco’s graphic novel Paying the Land (I posted a review above, but will put it here too):

I learned a lot about First Nations people and the more recent history of their relationship with the Canadian government and industry.

Settler colonialism has been incredibly destructive, and continues to be, and I hope that we can maybe start doing better…

8 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

A bit of a triumph, Wab (Wabanakwut) Kinew (Onigaming First Nation) is now the first Indigenous premier in Canada; his NDP (Canada’s leftist party) won Manitoba yesterday.

7 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

ETA

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

What the actual–

3 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

5 Likes

same!

Also, doesn’t making all that information “forbidden” just really make curious kids want to find out even more? Because I was definitely that kid. Am that kid. Now.

5 Likes

Indeed, but they also have to know the information is out there. It seems that the kids from homes where the parents want them to learn the very white-washed, white supremacist world view, or the highly white Christian nationalist worldview, are going to tightly control what information they get at an early age, so they’ll be more likely to just go along… these are kids that are often home-schooled or sent to particular kinds of private schools, and often end up at Liberty university… Obviously that doesn’t work with all kids, but it works with enough of them to keep pumping out right wing assholes, sadly.

I think that’s where the tribalism comes into the equation, as these are people who often don’t associate with anyone outside their ideological bubble, so their whole world is of that blinkered view. There is a whole white supremacist and Christian nationalist counterculture that’s been built up since the end of Jim Crow, and it’s overlapped with the evangelical Christian National counterculture, and it has a strong emphasis on ensuring people are kept inside their community… of course, curiosity of the kind you mean is frowned upon, and deference to authority is considered paramount… the curious are often in for a rough ride and many eventually manage to get out, but not everyone…

6 Likes