The surprising origin of "dandelion" revealed!

Originally published at: The surprising origin of "dandelion" revealed! | Boing Boing

5 Likes

An example of what gets called “dog-rose Latin”, where a Latin term for a plant gets colloquialized for common use. Sometimes it goes both ways, where a common plant name gets Latinized for the taxonomy.

14 Likes
7 Likes

I like Cypripedium which as far as I can tell is a Latinization of the name Lady’s slipper – except we all know the Lady means St. Mary and the hell Linnaeus is including any of that Catholicism in his naming, so she can be Aphrodite Cypris instead.

9 Likes

Dandelion in Spanish is Diente de Leon which vibes with the Latin name. But this reminds me of one of the Spanish names for Ladybug, there are several but one of them is Vaca de San Anton which translates to San Antonio’s Cow. Which gives me delight at the thought of ladybugs being tiny adorable cows.

12 Likes

That’s a surprisingly common theme in that insect’s name, according to this cartoon:

10 Likes

then, of course, in french it’s more commonly called “Pissenlit” pisse en lit (piss en bed).

11 Likes

18 Likes

Off topic but:

I feel like i need to give some context to the link you provided as far as the Spanish translation and defend Spanish speakers. One of the names for Ladybug is Mariquita, and as far as i know the actual direct translation is little Mary and has Catholic/religious connotations. However Mariquita ties into a modern slur/slang for gay folk, but in an of itself Mariquita isn’t a slur.

8 Likes

I have to admit I was taken aback by that when I first saw it, but I don’t know enough Spanish to question that translation.

6 Likes

Obligatory Rolling Stones reference

3 Likes

I see it in the same vein as words like Gay and Queer, 100 years ago they had different meanings and eventually became associated with something else entirely.

3 Likes

1 Like

Good eating in dandelions whatever the etymology.

If you can find some soft leaves growing under other leaves it’s the best/ leafy and soft but still wonderfully peppery. I served some barbecued halloumi on a bed of young dandelion garnished with trimmed orange slices and drizzled with dressing a few years ago and I was very happy with it.

6 Likes

A Dandy Lion

9 Likes

close enough.

2 Likes

I knew the “lion’s tooth” origin, but I prefer the “dandy lion” explanation.

3 Likes

The Dutch word (“lieveheersbeestje”) translates to “dear Lord’s little beast”. They were believed to be messengers from God and killing one was a sin.

5 Likes

And dandelion is ‘Horseflower’ in Dutch. But why…

2 Likes

Horses eat them, and they occur a lot in fields where horses might be. That’s the reason I was given as a kid at least.

1 Like