among the dwellings of men and making the streets hum, flashing out into
the meadows for a moment, mining in through the damp earth, booming on in
darkness and heavy air, bursting out again into the sunny day so bright
and wide; away, with a shriek, and a roar, and a rattle, through the
fields, through the woods, through the corn, through the hay, through the
chalk, through the mould, through the clay, through the rock, among
objects close at hand and almost in the grasp, ever flying from the
traveller, and a deceitful distance ever moving slowly within him: like as
in the track of the remorseless monster, Death!

Dickens, Dombey and Son

4 Likes

“Amazing looking ship though. Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow.”

5 Likes

Is that an entry in the Greatest Lines in English Literature? If so, I think it is pretty intriguing.

1 Like

That’s a better idea than… sorry, start again - “That’s a better idea than the aborted Hunter S. Austen mashup I’d intended.” - Samuel Beckett.

1 Like

He walked out of the fire station and along the midnight street toward the subway where the silent air-propelled train slid soundlessly down its lubricated flue in the earth and let him out with a great puff of warm air onto the cream-tiled escalator rising to the suburb.
– Ray Bradbury, “Farenheit 451”, 1953

3 Likes

The first time I “read” The Gunslinger it was an audio book, and it opened in the middle of the titular slinger gunning down an entire town. I was impressed with the in media res slam-opening. Only to be somewhat disappointed to find I had started with the second cassette.

3 Likes

It’s even better in the original Klingon.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Euan, you’ve been misinformed.

Monroe BKA Saki did not write this. It is attributed to Hemingway, although there is no proof of that claim. Even worse, you’ve misquoted. It is properly known as

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Thirdly, this was no “short story competition” or sanctioned event. It was alleged to be him making a bet with his Algonquin Round Table buddies and trying to show off.

2 Likes

I was writing it from memory; a highly untrustworthy source. Still I’d prefer to ascribe it to Saki rather than Hemingway as Munro seemed to lead the more blameless life :smile:

On Snopes, they post an image apparently of a classified advert from a 1945 Tuscon newspaper

http://www.snopes.com/language/graphics/babyshoes.jpg

2 Likes

Funny thing is, that line probably lost a lot of its impact now that people in the Western world drown in baby showers.

3 Likes

To be fair, euansmith merely misquoted the apocryphal Hemingway short story – in other versions of this story’s origins, “baby carriage” is used.

2 Likes

Agreed, I was wanting too add from Melville although your post presents itsself as more worthy. Hats off

1 Like

Even the weather isn’t as we remember it clearly once being; never lately does there come a summer day such as we remember, never clouds as white as that, never grass as odorous or shade as deep and full of promise as we remember they can be, as once upon a time they were.

– John Crowley, “Little, Big”

1 Like

He was one hundred and seventy days dying and not yet dead.

• Alfred Bester, “The Stars My Destination”
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.