The Texas Anti-Abortion Law: What Could Happen Next?

Abortion rights are covered under the 14th Amendment Equal Protection clause.

2 Likes

@Mangochin gets at why it’s utter bullshit. But this is explicitly why the law is structured the way it is. It even includes a ban on state authorities enforcing the law.

It’s not legitimate on it’s face. There’s clear, obvious reasons why any suits filed on it pretty much couldn’t be won and established reasons for them to tossed out.

But that doesn’t matter. Just by filing suit, after suit, after suit any party that’s targeted can likely be bankrupted. Every clinic in Texas has stopped, or is planning to stop, performing abortions just to avoid it. So the defacto ban they were after is in effect.

It’s all about weaponizing the court system, while using technicalities to make it complicated and time consuming to challenge. We have a politicized court that absolutely will over turn Roe v Wade if given the chance, and Chief Justice who seems primarily interested in avoiding controversial cases to avoid criticism. And they basically rubber stamped this.

6 Likes

A brief humorous interlude:

5 Likes

An adverse judgment against the [State of Texas] in the captioned case would render Stilley’s monetary investment worthless, with respect to the litigation prospects of the suit. An adverse judgment would also likely destroy or restrict future litigation prospects.

[ . …]

Stilley wishes to intervene for the protection of his legal and property rights under SB8.

3 Likes

And a happy wave and hello on back to you!

1 Like

Yes, I know. I was lazily and Socractically asking a series of sloppy rhetorical questions. Magonchin had more patience in explaining why the whole thing is garbage and I thank them for that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.