The time that Jimi Hendrix derailed The Lulu Show and was forever banned from the BBC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/02/the-time-that-jimi-hendrix-derailed-the-lulu-show-and-was-forever-banned-from-the-bbc.html

6 Likes

hard to believe this was enough to have a perma-ban back then, but apparently so. such a silly thing!

9 Likes

And that ban pretty much tanked his career…

7 Likes

No one crosses the Beeb and gets away with it.

3 Likes

Banned with a slight reverb then…

2 Likes

How horrible it must be when you invite Jimi Hendrix on your show and he gasp Starts To Improvise Music!

That poor ickle producer!

6 Likes

Wait, wut?

3 Likes

That was mild compared to the musical improvisation of 30 years later.

British teatime television would never be the same again. Shaun Ryder was banned from appearing on Channel 4 for the next 20 years

4 Likes

Genius, as always. At 6:09 throws in the riff to the Beatles’ “I Feel Fine”, just because he can…

1 Like

You’d have thought they’d learnt their lesson after the first time they had him on. Let’s not even talk about what was happening over on The Word.

3 Likes

Gives new meaning to the words:

Banned

4 Likes

Interesting, and I’ll dive into that. But my understanding (and people can check me on this) is that the BBC ban was just a blip. Yes, The Experience band did break up not long after the Lulu affair (something which could easily be initially interpreted as having to do, somehow, with the “tanking” of his career). But, it was Jimi’s handling of the band re some future band lineup and the interpersonal conflicts that flowed from that which caused the breakup. Did that breakup “tank” his career? I don’t think so: Just a few days after Lulu, Jimi was back to concerting, with and without The Experience original lineup. Eighty-four concerts (headlining, and with legendary bands) including Woodstock, Isle of Wight, Atlanta Pop, etc. up to less than two weeks before his death. Eighty-four concerts over twenty-one months. His career. What he definitely did tank was his life. Drugs, drugs, and more drugs.

2 Likes

I was actually being sarcastic. Clearly a ban from the BBC would not derail someone like Hendrix who didn’t really rely on top 40 hits and TV exposure to succeed.

4 Likes

He was much better behaved at Gorillaz Demon Dayz fest at Margate back in June 2017:

Though he was tripping over the words to Dare a bit - substances may have been ingested… but all in all an awesome day of music.

Saw him again with them that December and he’d definitely rehearsed a lot more!

ETA: ah, the fallibility of memory - I just found the O2 gig online, he was actually more random at that one :rofl:

Gotcha. I didn’t want any laypersons out there to walk away thinking that the BBC could ever sink Jimi.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.