The trailer for 'The Wheel of Time' looks pretty good

Originally published at: The trailer for 'The Wheel of Time' looks pretty good | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Dear Wife is over the moon!

13 Likes

I’m looking forward to this too. Hopefully since the whole series has source material they won’t “Game of Thrones” up the ending.

10 Likes

On the one hand I’m not so enthusiastic about how Tar Valon, the White Tower, and Waygates look nothing how I imagined them (or much how they were described). On the other, I appreciate that they’re so different that my internal image of them is unlikely to be corrupted by them.

Still looking forward to it, as long as it keeps to the spirit…

5 Likes

There will be tons of stuff that doesn’t match up to my mental imagery. That’s OK as long as the story holds. How they handle the Wolf Dream and Tel’aran’rhiod will go a long way to determining how much I can vanish into it. Really looking forward to this one!

5 Likes

I am lucky to be coming to this fresh and will watch the series before I read the books. Don’t know why I never got around to them since SFF is my jam, but at the time the first was published I was reading other things and somehow missed out on it. Never got back around to it either, there was always something else on my list.

10 Likes

I thought Robert Jordan died before finishing them? Did someone else wrap up the series?

4 Likes

Brandon Sanderson did. It was a planned transition, with lots of in-person handoff between RJ and Sanderson, including notes so extensive that there was more volume of notes than story.

10 Likes

Still left some loose threads. How did Rand light the candle?
BS says he truly did not know.

2 Likes

Ah! Got it. I had no idea it was planned like that. I never read the series, but I had friends who loved (most of) it. All my info was always secondhand, at best.

1 Like

You’re lucky to be coming at them fresh because they are deeply disappointing. The first couple are great, but by about book 5 you lose track of why you’re reading then in the morass of unresolved plot points and unsympathetic characters. The phrase I remember from the late 90s when we were reading these was ‘friends don’t let friends read the wheel of time’.

8 Likes

I’m kind of hoping the transition to tv trims the story enough to remove the dull parts but keep the major themes and world interesting. With sooo many books they should have lots of source material to pick and choose from without making up new bits.

I’m personally OK with shows having their own vision and not covering everything so long as they are at least obviously inspired by the source or its goals.

4 Likes

So is Jordan actually worth reading? The bit of Sanderson that I’ve read seemed like what it was - a lot of words written very quickly with almost no regard for style and a moderately interesting plot. The fact that the series is so long and I’ve read it described as people taking a lot of very long walks has made me reluctant to start it.

2 Likes

That’s a bold statement. There are many of us who truly adore these books, and even “The Slog.” It’s not for everyone, but nothing is. For myself, I have read through all 15 books 3 times and will have to start them again now. Something I am very much looking forward to!

5 Likes

So in the tall building at 0:55…do they have elevators or is it stairs all the way up and down?

1 Like

Personally i’m somewhat concerned. It looks a bit generic and somewhat bland to me, going by what i saw in the trailer but i do hope it ends up being better than it seems to be.

2 Likes

I recognize that they have their fans, I’m just reflecting the opinion of my group of readers at the time. I tried to go back to the series afresh about 10 years ago, but I ended up giving up at about the same point.

I started out really enjoying the novels, but I ran out of gas in grad school. I think book 10 was the last one I read. Less free time, longer gaps between books, and what felt like a slowing narrative all contributed.

That being said, I am pretty hyped by the trailer. The characters that I could recognize all felt right and it looks cool.

2 Likes

Cool, looks good.
I never heard of the story but— so prescient, as we kinda are at the end, aren’t we?
So I wondered,
was that wide open mouth monster there in the clip supposed to be the Actual Jeff Bezos or just a simulacrum?

1 Like

I was warned in advance about the series bogging down by book 5. But I trudged on anyway. The series is an endless loop. I felt like a boiled frog by the time I finally quit reading the series at book 7 or some such.

No way I want to watch it as a tv series. At the very least I don’t want to watch the series until it’s completed. There is all too much chance it will be canceled before then.

1 Like