The university of the future

5 Likes

Well look at that. I have a new regional pun I can use :DD

(And here I was making puns about MTS yesterday that maybe one person got)

Again, not actually the primary raison d’etre of a college: rather a facet tacked on to help pay the bills. It’s worked out pretty good in the past! But a skilled trades academy and a college come from very different places, and should continue to do so.

Paging Dr. Freud…

5 Likes

(Quietly lowers head on to desk :D)

3 Likes

Maths is what we call it in English, Math is what you incorrectly say in American.

5 Likes

I watched this recently, no idea how accurate the dichotomy it represents is, I never even went to university, let alone university today in America. I liked his message all the same, told with style and humour.

And next you’ll say colour is correct and the element is pronounced “Al-you-min-ium”.

You are dead to me.

1 Like

Okay, I just had a sit down with a math PhD, a math masters, and a hobo. We have come to the agreement that since “math” is an informal shortening of mathematics, it benefits from an informal transitive property of plurality.

Also, statistically how often are English words that end with ‘th’ not innately plural or plurality is meani gless? Yes, I can name outliers, but they don’t appear to be within a standard deviation in common occurrence.

(And you know I’m just taking the piss, right? :D)

1 Like

It doesn’t exist, really. I’ve not noticed this “trend” everyone seems to be so afraid of. There’s a still a large contingent of lefties that object to the institutionalization of “safe-spaces.” It’s not so pervasive as people make it out to be.

I do think that there’s something naive in the idea that students should “Take Chances!” and “Don’t be afraid to fail!” I think that based on the current level of competition for employment, it’s more like, “Play it safe” and “Be very afraid to fail.” I see no way in which challenging yourself in college will make you look better on paper to an employer. This is why the sort of idealized vision for a university of the future is one not tied to employment at all. This is why I think all university courses should be pass/fail. Grades should not matter, only whether you’ve reached a level that will allow you to proceed in your education.

That, to me, sounds a lot more like ice-cold pragmatism than this idea that “good grades” mean… well… anything at all. I get “good grades”. They mean nothing to me. My program is relatively competitive, and I take some honors courses but I don’t give two shits about my grades. I rarely look at them until I reach the end of a semester. My standards are, “Am I confident in the material?” and “Am I achieving any level of mastery here?” I had an assignment that comprised a significant portion of my grade for a class that got a 50/50. I thought it was shit, because I failed utterly and fantastically to figure out one key part that was driving me batty. I got a great grade because I wasn’t expected to understand it, but that doesn’t mean I was satisfied with it. But ultimately, the difference between a 97% and an 82% can come down to dumb fucking luck and desperately having to piss all through a two hour exam. Stephen Hawking was famous as a bit of a lag-behind student. You want students to take risks? Don’t subject them to weird fine-grained distinctions that are strained by reality. I love advanced mathematics. I love them so much that I look forward to the end of this semester when I will never have to study them for a grade ever again. And study them I’ll have to. I have a lot of personal projects and ideas I’d like to develop that depend on it.

3 Likes

This is honestly a very intellectually dense, and interesting topic. Some times ‘throw away phrases’ like Be Afraid to Fail are quite layered. One of the favorite in agile development is Fail Fast, Fail Often. Which works… Sometimes. But can a civil engineer or cabinet maker fail fast and often?

Also, virtually nothing other than subject mastery, academic contacts, and work ethic matter when you leave academia.

Abe, you have the absolute right mindset. And many in academia have a blind spot that you could help illuminate.

2 Likes

I go with Humphry Davy. Always stick with the Cornishman.

Alumium.

4 Likes
2 Likes

First day of classes has come and gone, and I was annoyed by something that I don’t know how to fix.

New policy in my university as of a couple of semesters ago makes it (un)clear that it’s an expulsion-worthy offense to sell your notes to a third party service. The reason it’s unclear is that it’s vaguely connected to a rule about copyright, but in syllabi it refers to simply “class notes.” I would think any notes I take are owned wholly and entirely by me. You cannot copyright facts, as has been decided over and over and over again across the US. So this semester my professor seemed to bring it down to a question of the individual professor’s copyright interests.

I’m not averse to professors retaining copyright in principle. In practice however, it explains why all of the PowerPoints that used to be given out as such are now PDFs. The limitations this imposes aren’t particularly onerous, but I’m mostly concerned about how far the university is going to take this. I think I’ll lose my shit if the university forces DRM on the stuff. I’m also still mostly in the dark about university policy here, which is the biggest sin. Can I use my notes to tutor someone else one-on-one for cash? God knows I would like to. A big part of it is that the university turned it into a student ethics issue. So it doesn’t matter if I have a legal case to use my own notes for X,Y, or Z because the university can expel me with whatever passes for due process internally and there’s probably very little I can do about it because I don’t have hire-expensive-lawyer money.

I’m already financially in the hole for the education, so I really can’t afford to take a risk either way. Student ethics codes actually bother me immensely for this reason. Yes, academic dishonesty is a bad thing and measures should be taken to stop it, but ethics codes rarely stop there. They’re poorly worded, inconsistently enforced, and there’s little recourse unless the university actually violates a law or a contractual obligation. I don’t think that universities should have this much power over my life. As a student I’m subject to more rules and regulation (even living off campus) than I was as a grown-ass man living and working in town just a year and a half ago. An example: I cannot bring “a weapon” on campus. That’s the phrasing and wording in the student ethics handbook. By law I can carry a pocketknife anywhere in the state except a school, normally. Only firearms are legally prohibited on university property. But more importantly as far as the university is concerned, I have no idea what that means. Is a Swiss army knife a “weapon?” Is a camping knife a “weapon?” Is sixteen ounces of thermite a “weapon,” or any other hazardous substance I might produce in a lab? It’s completely unclear, and when it’s unclear, and the institution has wide latitude, it means that the university can pick on whoever it wants. It wouldn’t be a big deal if it was just a matter of not bringing it to campus, but as is the case in many a university, half the town is technically part of the campus. The penalty for a violation can amount to what is essentially a thousands of dollars in fines and the inability to get a higher education. It’s a little insane. Not to mention the little canisters of pepper-spray I see many a lady student carrying around: Those are literally and indisputably weapons. I don’t advocate that they not have them campus crime stats being what they are, but I do think that the ethics code is sufficiently clear (or vague) to ruin any such young woman’s day.

I don’t know that universities should have this power. It’s predicated on some very old ideas that we got rid of a while ago, about universities essentially acting as our parents. Beyond that, it seems to go back to chivalric orders and ideas about nobility. If we are going to talk about universities of the future, shouldn’t we also talk about limiting their reach into students’ daily lives? If they can’t tell me how to hold my fork as they once did when only the truly wealthy were using the colleges and universities, why can they tell me what I can be arrested for? What are the implications for students who engage in civil disobedience? Why are they allowed to decide if I’m mentally healthy enough to attend class? What gives them such wide-ranging rights over me, beyond what seems like tradition?

Partly, I’m too old for this shit. I never noticed or cared when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but as someone who’s firmly in adulthood territory, I’m keenly aware of the rights and privileges you surrender, and for what? At the end of the day, it’s a fairly mundane endeavor. You’re in classes and learning things. You’re not managing a nuclear stockpile or other people’s money. Fuck 'em, I’m no gentleman and didn’t come to a university to learn to be one.

5 Likes

So, again, the university of the future. Should it be closely linked with the job market, or should we spin off the university into something else entirely? How do we fund these and vet people coming into them? What about reviving “great book schools” that don’t just focus on the western canon? Do we go the Hampton College route (which is a pricey school)? How do we disconnect the notion that an intellectually rigorous, philosophically based education isn’t’ just a “nice to have”, but can be accessible to all?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Well, we can start by paying for it.

Germany, Finland, Scotland, Norway, Denmark, austria, Greece, Iceland, Slovenia…
they’ve all accepted the principle that undergraduate degrees do not carry fees. If they can manage it, the rest of the developed world can too. It’s just a matter of priorities.

More generally, we need to solve the question of what universities are actually for.
Currently they’re trying to be all things to all peoplle- they’re expected to be:
Job training centres for law, medicine and technology
The research arm of the state
Subsidised R&D for favoured technology sectors
Training facilities for professional sports (leading to the issuing of degrees in running and jumping)
Ideological training for the next generation of the elite (see any PPE or most Economics courses)
Incubators for hermetic schools of meaningless post-evidence thought, expressed in baroque layers of complex jargon. (again, see some schools of Economics, or some other subjects that will get me into trouble here).

With all that going on, It’s hardly surprising that people are a bit confused about the role of the University.

What I think they should be? Well, it’s getting close to idealism again, but I can’t help but think they should be:

Centres for excellence in scientific research
Hubs for a process of lifelong learning
Locations for clusters of rigorous scholarship.

Of course- this would all take more detail, clarity and money than I have right now.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 442 days. New replies are no longer allowed.