The unofficial BBS earnings poll

Personally I was talking about my pet.

14 Likes

The poll might track student debt too.

I’m personally aware of several doctors and lawyers earning substantial income but also paying nearly all of it to service student loan debt and often in servitude to large corporate client(s) rather than public interest work they might do if they didn’t have to service the student debt.

And there are people like me who make more modest professional income (e.g. closer to $70k), have focused full-time+ (i.e. 60-80 hour work weeks, no vacations, high stress, sporadic health insurance coverage, no real estate equity, social security for retirement, etc.) continuously on public interest work but still have over $50k in educational debt after 20 years.

6 Likes

New poll!

We just have to make sure women participate, that way almost every male respondent can be proud of his above-average dick size.

1 Like

Cue girlie noises in 5, 4, 3, 2…

Mabel Pines

SQUEEEEE!!!

Okay, that’s out of my system now; whew.

Wait… you have a deer as a pet… and you named it “Dick?”

5 Likes

Didn’t you claim to be off the fucking chart earlier? (Googles ‘fucking chart’ for other points along the axes)

I’ve had such inconsistent work over the last few years that it’s impossible to say how much I’ll earn this year. It’s unlikely to be within 5,000 of last year, but I’m not completely sure which side (probably up). This is what the last few years have looked like, with no strong causal relation to effort in finding projects (colours represent different companies):

6 Likes

That would be a ‘dik-dik’

5 Likes
8 Likes

('Twas a joke.)

5 Likes

You could make a guesstimate for the past year, or use last year’s figure. It’s an informal poll, no-one’s going to call the poll police.

1 Like

Why yes. Yes I am.

3 Likes

There’s a chart for fucking?

*lolz

3 Likes

It could stand to be split into two or three brackets. $0 - $50k takes up five brackets. The next $50k is all jammed into one, which currently contains 41% of entrants.

In my area, if you’re making $50k, you’re probably renting an apartment (and if you have any dependents, probably not a fancy one). If you’re making $100k, you likely have a fairly decent house. (and if you’re not in a place like L.A., the Bay Area, or NYC, you probably have a relatively palatial manse).

3 Likes

Not in Connecticut, my good man. Not even north and west of the Gold Coast.

3 Likes

There are a few houses you could afford to buy in Ann Arbor at $100k income and still afford food/utilities/transportation.

They’re not in very nice neighborhoods and they’re not big.

4 Likes

I make $40K/annum working in education in the middle of flyover country, own a house, and live comfortably. I would not try to raise a family on that, though.

2 Likes

The current ridiculously low interest rates mean that $100k/year in salary can easily translate into qualifying for a $400K mortgage. You have to pray that interest rates won’t spike up before you’re due to renew your mortgage, but that’s currently looking like a relatively safe bet

No, but that’s because it’s “a place like L.A., the Bay Area, or NYC” in terms of cost of living. There are lots of such pockets scattered throughout the nation.

But for about $66,000 less than I just paid for my 2300-square-foot 1928 faux-Victorian just north of Pasadena, I could get this monstrosity in Detroit, with triple the square footage and somewhat fancier architecture:

In Austin, TX, I could have saved $50k and bought this castle and enjoyed twice the square footage, plus a kitchen that doesn’t have a swaybacked floor and a decided dearth of lighting and electrical outlets. (Fully half of our kitchen’s four outlets were melted due to having been installed directly above the kitchen sink!)

In Topeka, I could have bought this place for $15k less than I paid for my 2300 square feet, and thereby obtained 6100 square feet (on 21 wooded acres, no less!), as well as what appears to be a four-star lobby:

Of course, then I’d have to live in Topeka.

6 Likes

My wife and I qualified for such a mortgage on a combined income of under $100k, at higher rates. Of course, that was 2006, when they gave out mortgages from ice cream trucks.

Still, last time we refinanced down to around 3.5%, our combined income was still under $100k, and our mortgage was still over $360k.

3 Likes

That’s half your take home pay right there.

3 Likes

Nah. It was a bit over half my take-home pay. That is, once property taxes had been rolled in. We initially had a $400k mortgage, with a monthly payment on the order of $2500/mo at somewhere near 6%. Things are better now.

3 Likes