The US Copyright Office is the poster child for regulatory capture

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/08/the-us-copyright-office-is-the.html

6 Likes

I voted for Obama in 2008 because he promised to eliminate this kind of problem. So much for that.

9 Likes

This system has been unsustainable for a long while.
Colour me a pessimist, but I’m not convinced it’s about to change.

7 Likes

This is the problem with both Dems and Reps. They both support copyright extremism (i.e. the status quo).

9 Likes

Seems to me every US regulatory agency is like that. What you can’t change, control.

5 Likes

Can you link to the html page linking the pdf, rather than to the pdf?

https://www.publicknowledge.org/documents/

I currently use Firefox, so pdfs don’t appear in the browser, and it’s impossible to navigate from pdf pages to the rest of the site. (And I have tried other browsers, but most have more animation, and less animation-blocking tools.)

2 Likes

Sonny Bono reaching out from the grave to take this post down in 3.2.1. because it infringes on his future copyright profit rights. Mickey Rat is proconsul.

5 Likes

My goodness, it’s all so true. Many, many people connected to power and influence in Washington have also worked other places:

Is there not something we can do about this?

1 Like

Campaign finance reform?

6 Likes

I just want to point out that “white-hot smoking guns” don’t just smoke. They actually fire randomly (when they don’t just explode or melt down). Thanks in advance. Your metaphor police.

2 Likes

I’m also using Firefox and it does have in-browser PDF display if you tell it to do that through menubar > Tools > Options > Applications > Portable Document Format (PDF): Preview in Firefox. This one is showing in the browser for me. Sometimes I get some that won’t though, maybe some problem with content type, I don’t know.

I don’t have Tools > Options

OK, I’ll PM you here on the forum.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.