The vast, unplayable history of video games

oh man, I’ve lost many hours now to my gog.com acquired Ultima 7. It’s so cool, I had already lost all those hours and now here I am 23 years later losing them all again and I don’t have to fuck with my boot to do it either…

1 Like

The University of Michigan’s Computer Video Game Archive is a wonderful resource for games of the past few decades, the games and systems are accessible to the general public. I believe Stanford has a similar archive, though not as publicly accessible.

I visited a few years ago and at the time they had no answer to deal with the download only / auth server issues this article brings up.

Other options: Not an interactive solution, many games have been well documented and are stored on YouTube. That probably works better for games with more linear gameplay, not so much for giant sandbox games, multiple endings, etc.

Time spent in Black Gate-era Britannia is never time lost.

[quote=“Wisq, post:20, topic:58488”]There’s at least one exception to the “emulation will probably never be perfect” rule — DOSbox, as far as I know, is pretty much 100% perfect.[/quote]Oh, no, no. DOSBox is an extremely useful tool, but 100% perfect, it is not; it is merely “good enough” – so good that you’d generally not even notice most of the time. One particular sticking point is that there’s really no way you could use DOSBox to accurately simulate, say, an original IBM 5150, or indeed any other old system running at a particular clock rate. The obvious counterpoint is that the vast majority of game software (or software in general) was probably never intended to run at exactly one particular clock rate anyway. MESS and Bochs are probably much better options as far as accuracy is concerned – but they’re not nearly as easy to get up and running, and certainly not at full speed.

A popular article is this one about the struggles of one author to create a cycle-accurate Super Nintendo emulator. There have been seemingly very good SNES emulators out for a long time – good until one looks deeper.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.