The woman who can see 100 times more colors than you can

I was just thinking that sounded remarkably like Trump.

1 Like

This scenario implies tetrachromats perceive a four-dimensional color space.

Colorblind people see all the same colors I do, they just can’t tell the shades apart?

1 Like

I thought you only got 0.5 knobs per teste.

/runs

10 Likes

The Internet is yours!

2 Likes

Radiolab did a thing on colour, and found that a trichrome (male) artist was able to distinguish the test colours just as well as their trichrome lady.

Is this woman’s ability really outside of the theoretical? She sounds like a bit of a promoter, which instantly makes me suspicious.

1 Like

That’s not a precise way to think of it, but it’s close. Follow arteitle’s link on Metamerism.

1 Like

I agree with the dislike of her hubris, but there is another way to interpret “I see colors you cannot perceive” than you have made. Take a look at the link to metamerism that arteitle posted. Her comments don’t have to be interpreted to be ‘spectral colors’. ‘Colors’ generally refers to a full spectral response, not a single frequency. In that more general case of non-spectral colors, tetrachromats can indeed tell appart colors that trichromats cannot.

2 Likes

Thanks for that link - most interesting. I actually gave it a real shot, took ten minutes to line up the colors.

And got a 66/ 100 (where 0 is best, 100 is presumably colorblind).

No wonder my co-workers blanch when they see my choice of clothing colors each day - apparently mismatching close shades is a no-no.

3 Likes

Just because Alice and Bob both perceive the same range of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation as light doesn’t mean they “see the same colors.”

When we talk about colorblindness, we mean that some people cannot distinguish some combination of wavelengths from some other combination of wavelengths, while other people can distinguish them.

It’s not about whether you can see the light at all.

That’s not colorblindness, that’s regular blindness blindness.

2 Likes

thanks for the link on metamerism that was a fascinating read!

yeah, i would have brushed off her comment except the last bit “that you can’t even imagine” stuck in my craw. don’t tell me what i can and can not imagine! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hee hee.

yeah, most of her quotes come off this way.

agreed! :slight_smile: she seems to be a little blind to how other people see her.

8 Likes

I’ve gotten zero on that test the two times I’ve done it. The slight differences in shade just pop-out to me (albeit subtly). I wonder if anyone has investigated whether the results in this colour test can help to predict those with an extra cone.

1 Like

My mother and brother are both super tasters and both have very conservative tastes. It led to a lot of mild cheese and no spices while growing up (which honestly probably wasn’t too different to the norm in New Zealand in the 80s. People made pizza with canned spaghetti and sausages on top FFS).

Sometimes factors the screen or lighting can make a difference. I’ve had a perfect score before, but two of my brothers are RG colour blind (I haven’t sent them this link yet though).

This may seem like a silly question… There are a few sites that show how things look for people with different kinds of colour blindness. Do those people see any difference between the ‘typical’ photo and the altered one corresponding to their type of colour blindness?

1 Like

I am dueteroptic. I can see clear differences between the typical and the Protanope and Tritanope images. I can say that the deutanope image differes, but I might not if I wasn’t specifically looking for a difference. Also, I can’t say what the difference is just that the Typical image seems a trifle more vivid.

4 Likes

I can see grellow, blooj, and durple and you can’t.

You don’t know what your missing, suckers.

5 Likes

The mantis shrimp/human DNA splicing was a success

3 Likes

Maybe three minutes.
One of the tiles in the center row is odd. It is too dark.

But… can’t you see colors that a red-green colorblind person can’t see? The way I understand it, objects reflect a number of different wavelengths of light at the same time. That’s the way you can see a certain shade of pink, https://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics/about, which is not an actual wavelength, but a mix of wavelengths that activate your red and blue but not green color receptors (wavelengths at both ends of the spectrum simultaneously.) Can’t you imagine a colorblind person saying the same thing, “show me a color I can’t see?” This lady can differentiate between different MIXES of wavelengths, which the brain INTERPRETS as new colors, perhaps. I’ve always thought it would be fascinating to be able to see all wavelengths an object reflects simultaneously (even just in the visible spectrum.) There’s so much more information there even in the visible spectrum than people actually detect. Ears are “designed” to detect many frequencies at once, (not just three,) but of course the ear isn’t as good as the eye at determining where the different sources are coming from and making them into a spatial image like the eye.

Yes I can imagine that, and I can show them photo examples, some have even been posted to this thread.

To my knowledge the fourth cone does not act that way. If you are missing a red, blue, or green color receptor cone you do indeed miss part of the visual spectrum. what new primary color does this extra cone introduce into the mix? the answer is none. it increases photo sensitivity, which don’t get me wrong is awesome, but not as awesome as the lady is selling it as. Remember that this isn’t a rare mutation (2%-25% of people). some animals have a fourth cone more to the ultraviolet or infrared expand their color perception and visual range, the fourth cone in humans is not that nor does it function that way.

the fourth cone in humans is between existing cones so it increases sensitivity to the differentiation between those two peaks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy/

The mantis shrimp on the other hand can indeed see more colors then we can. It actually has the hardware for it.

They do have camera sensors that can do this. One can view an isolated part, or shift things to see non-visible parts.

an infrared heat map is a wonderful example of a part of the spectrum we cannot see being shifted and expanded/translated into the visual range so that we can see rainbow colors representing various amounts of infrared.

these techniques are used in astronomy all the time, we have xray and radio wave telescopes etc. we can tell what elements distant stars are made of because we can analyze the emf spectrum from them. spectral analysis is super handy and humans are awesome and taking things too small, too large, too far, too quite, too whatever and inventing devices that allow us to view and analyze them even though they are outside the perception of out nature provided hardware. yea humans!

mantis shrimp:

birds:

human tetrachromat:

notice how the fourth peak doesn’t extend past the blue or red peaks…so it isn’t expanding our color perception range.

3 Likes