The woman who can see 100 times more colors than you can

Could be fun borrowing eyes from the mantis shrimp.

Was thinking about ways to add thermal imaging. Perhaps a third eye, with an uncooled bolometer array, wired to the brain?

2 Likes

i often wonder how much we will bio-enhance ourselves versus external augmentation. either way the future is glorious. :slight_smile:

These approaches can go hand in hand. Gene-engineer a rudimentary sensor organ that acts as a placeholder to generate dummy data so the brain develops the handling structures, then replace it with an electronic implant.

I wonder if genes delivered by e.g. liposome aerosol (see some cystic fibrosis treatments for lungs, for example) could change olfactory cells and allow us to smell things like methane and other low hydrocarbons, or carbon monoxide, or other sneaky hazards.

Or if genes could be delivered to retina, much in the way of how colorblindness can be treated experimentally on monkeys, but adding a fourth (or fourth and fifth, for more fun) color, one of them extending to near infrared.

2 Likes

So, specifically looking at the last two graphs in your diagram, wouldn’t your argument mean that the green color receptor doesn’t change the number of colors you can see? A person missing that cone would say something like “green is just a way of differentiating more between shades of red and blue” (they would only see shades of red-violet-blue perhaps?) They might think in terms of two “primary colors” instead of three. The way I understand, primary colors just means the wavelengths that your cones pick up.

This isn’t really my argument, i’m just relaying the info I’ve read to the best of my understanding. Have you read the various studies on human tetrachromatic vision? I’m by no means any sort of expert, everything I know about it I’ve gleaned from reading various studies and articles.

That isn’t what happens when people are missing a certain cone type.

the term primary colors is a tricky one depending on if you are talking about additive or subtractive color theory and reflection vs absorption. any set of colors we can combine to create a fairly full range of colors are considered primary. RGB is the primary colors of light as those are our main receptors, but we obviously don’t see only red blue and green, we see all the colors from the threshold stimulation level of the outer edge of the far sides of our receptor curves.

I don’t know if that is of any help or makes any sense? Perhaps someone else can explain it better then I can. Anyway, hope that helps. Cheers!

I remember that one! So sweet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.