The wordless "Frank" by Jim Woodring is one of the first comics I ever read

Originally published at: The wordless "Frank" by Jim Woodring is one of the first comics I ever read | Boing Boing

5 Likes

There’s a great documentary on Jim Woodring:

3 Likes

Jim Woodring is a mad genius and my favorite cartoonist by far. Sorry, Charles Burns, you’re second. Ware and Clowes can fight over third.

Anyway… the Frank stuff is mind-blowing transcendent sublime beauty terror comedy tragedy that peeks right into your sorry little soul. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

3 Likes

I am reminded of the comic strip Henry which was similarly wordless.

1 Like

Wait, HOW did you have access to Frank at 3-4 years old? Best parenting ever? Or mental abuse of a minor? LLLLLLLL…

2 Likes

I only know Jim woodrings work in my adult incarnation. Would have loved to have seen his stuff as a five or six-year-old!
I still have eerie and mysterious memories of warped ancient cartoons that I saw at that impressionable age. Vague memories of melting clocks and shape-shifting cats… They certainly had an effect on me and come to think of it they might have had an effect on Jim Woodring too

Henry also had pronounced buttocks-like cheeks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.