The world as 100 people

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/23/the-world-as-100-people.html

The execution totally betrays the concept. If you ask “how would the population of the world look like if it amounted to 100 people”?, you should show a group of 100 distinct people to gaze at. This is nothing more than a collection of a bunch of different percentages that dont interact with each other.

6 Likes

I think they were running out of percent signs.

3 Likes

Nutrition is pretty remarkable. I wonder what those numbers would be in 1985.

That makes too much sense so it’s been done, over and over (over 100 times?). The “the world as a village” is kind of a meme all by itself.

I’m guessing this version is a fairly self-defeating designery way of avoiding a bunch of stick figures and still be exact same thing somehow.

Here’s a well-made version of the obvious visualization:

3 Likes

This one is prettier but still delivers the same information, something different than promised. It’s not a group of a 100 people, it’s several different groups, just a different way of showing simple univariate distributions. I’d expect something like “10 would be young men from Asia”, etc. Of course you have to narrow it down to very few variables to make it work, but the point should be anyways to convey some insight about something.

1 Like

Exactly. There are no interaction factors. How many women in Asia have no access to clean drinking water? We can’t tell. How many African men have cell phones? Still no idea. I would like this if it showed interaction between categories, even if that meant fewer categories.

1 Like

There’s no logical reason to put these values into a single circular graph since the data sets aren’t cross referenced with each other in any way. It’s essentially just a series of 14 pie charts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.